Friday, April 24, 2020

Growing up our local barber shop had this sign: "If you leave your chair you lose your place in line."

Mr. Bentley, "Here's the deal. You leave your seat it's up for grabs. Got it?"
Hello everyone and welcome to the Friday edition and my version of all the news that is fit to print, (NY Times slogan), and we greet you on this day, April 24, 2020. Mr. Bentley doesn't yet know that he is not a savage beast. Whenever any dog comes down the street, regardless of breed or size, Mr. Bentley bows up and bristles, barks, and huffs and puffs like he would tear into them if they even thought about touching our yard or driveway. I hold him back and it is 100% for his own good. The only way for him to find out he isn't who he thinks he is would most likely involve a lot of bodily harm to himself. Have you ever thought too highly of yourself? Or, thought you were something you weren't? Have you ever looked back and thanked God that He kept you from doing something that would have been disastrous? I know I have. Without going into a lot of details, I remember one time when I failed to give God the glory for something He helped me to accomplish. I foolishly applauded myself and even said in my heart, "It's about time I got some credit around here." The moment I thought that thought I felt weak all over. It was a very scary feeling. And, it caused me to be reminded that every heartbeat belongs to Him along with every breath I breathe. Without His provision, I could do nothing and He always deserves the honor and glory for His working in and through my life. I remember some commercials that ran with the tag line, "Don't be that guy." I can say the same thing. Don't be like me. Always give God His deserved recognition, honor, and glory. Amen.

Here's one that made me laugh all the way back in April of 2008: ~ An older couple were having problems remembering things so they went to their doctor to get checked out. After examining them, the doctor told them they were physically okay but might want to start writing things down and make notes to help them remember. The couple thanked the doctor and left. Later that night while watching TV, the man got up from his chair and his wife asked, "Where are you going?" He replied, "To the kitchen." She asked, "Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?" He responded, "Sure." She then asked him, "Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" He laughed, "No, I can remember that." She then added, "Well, I also would like some strawberries on top. You had better write that down cause I know you'll forget that." He responded, "I can remember that, you want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries." She then added, "Well, I also would like whip cream on top so I strongly suggest you write it all down." With irritation in his voice, he barked, "I don't need to write that down, I can remember it." He then fumed into the kitchen. After about 20 minutes he returned and handed her a plate of bacon and eggs. She stared at the plate for a moment and said, "I knew it, I knew it, you forgot my toast." ~

That was really funny 12 years ago. It's not as funny today because in one way or another we have experienced some of the joke first hand. We are both suffering some hearing loss, the wife more than me. Our remedy, for now, is to turn the TV up until we can hear it. I understand if the neighbors happen to be watching the same program they turn down their sound and listen to ours. Not really. It's a joke but they most likely could. The doctor wants me to do a video appointment for my diabetic check-up. I know telemedicine is where it all is headed but I'm trying to figure out what can be accomplished in a video conference. They sent me an email. Now, the nurse has called me. I told her I was aware of how it worked and I do know how to schedule it, and, I am thinking about thinking about doing it. We will see. I do hope you have a great rest of the day Friday, a wonderful Saturday, and that Lord's Day Sunday will find us all doing the best we can to connect into the worship of our Great God. Until next time, may He add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: