Wednesday, April 15, 2020

As it relates to getting past this pandemic, I feel like a kid again, asking my mom, "Are we there yet?"

Alright, let's get this program going on this Wednesday, April 15, 2020, Tax Day here in the United States. I am aware the deadline has been adjusted to July 15 for this year only. We are ready to file and thinking about thinking about when to do it. Taxes do bring about a lot of thinking. It's interesting that as we all hunker down in our bunker homes, stuff continues. I saw a headline that read researchers have discovered that flamingos form long term friendships. Needless to say, I did not read the details on that one. I would assume they would be telling us we can learn something from the flamingos about how to make and keep friends. The Good Lord knows we all need help if we are to be a friend during these difficult days. The wife went to the grocery store because of some of the items we didn't have on our online order. She is very social and also very much one who will jump in to lend a helping hand. I typically go but she wanted to go and see what it was like. I felt bad having to remind her to keep her distance and to backdown some on her empathetic spirit. Or, at the very least to try and do it without making contact. I remembered her score on the test we both took many years ago. She scored in the high blue which indicated an overwhelming altruistic, benevolent bent. The professor who originally gave me the test described that particular rating like this, "My wife is also a high blue, off the chart, meaning she would lay down and give you more traction if you were stuck in the snow." My score was called a blended hue meaning I could be what I needed to be based on a decision process. I could choose to be a blue, a green, or a red based on the circumstances at hand. Someone off the chart blue would have a hard time doing that. That's why I was wanting to protect her. From herself. And, let me add how thankful I am for her caring heart. Amen.

I sat outside yesterday morning and enjoyed my cup of hot strong Community Coffee. It was 48 degrees with a light breeze. After experiencing August temps earlier this month, this cool air was nothing short of a breath of invigorating fresh air, pun intended. (Full disclosure requires me to reveal that I did have to change from a short sleeve to a long sleeve flannel shirt.) I can remember a time when that would not have been the case but what can I say? It's an old people thing. That's right. I have become somewhat susceptible to being chilly. As in chill. The cool kind of chill. The wife at times will look at me and ask why I have put a blanket over me. That gives me several options. I did it to try out how the blanket feels. I did it because the dog wanted me to. Or, I did it because I felt a little coolish. It's tough to say that last one but I knew to say something about my hormones would likely not get the job done. There may be better answers than those but think about it. Why would I even have to give an answer? I'll try that one next time. I think that may be my best way forward.

I did catch a clip of one of the frontline nurses talking about the Covid-19 elderly patients she is treating. The report indicated that while the illness itself is taking a toll on these older people, in her opinion, the isolation and loneliness was a huge and heartbreaking part of this experience. The medical staff is doing all they can to be 'family' to these folks, but, we all know being unable to have any touch from family is certainly a serious issue. We think about how confined we are in our homes and how our hearts ache for that day when we can touch our kids and their families again. This feeling pales in comparison to an aged person living in near-total isolation. I ask that each one who reads today's edition will pause and join me in a special prayer for these older folks who are in crisis mode because of this illness. Pray that God's presence will bring to them their needed peace in the midst of their storm. Thanks for praying and may God provide. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: