Thursday, April 9, 2020

The political games continue even during this time of national crisis.

I see different people using different dates for when they personally went into lockdown mode. Some say 14 days, others say 15, and I've seen a few that say 16 days. I think for most of us it seems like it has been much longer than the actual count, however, it does continue here on this Thursday, April 9, 2020. I am inclined to give deference to our President and his team in how they have responded to this threat, but, I do get weary hearing the incessant antagonism between him and the news media. It is a national crisis and one would think there would be a more civil tone to the dialogue forth and back. I do know he is the person at the top of the food chain, therefore, taking responsibility for all the government has done or not done, is doing, and will do comes with his job. I understand the unprecedented nature of this challenge, (to use a grossly overused adjective), but, accountability still functions. He is not the first president to be hurt politically by things outside his control. President George H. W. Bush was saddled with his stalled response to Hurricane Andrew while his son, George W. took a beating from Hurricane Katrina after being rewarded for his response to 9/11. How this will play out for President Trump remains to be seen. It really will not impact me that much since I can't imagine a scenario where I could vote for those currently running against him. However, to the rank and file, perception is their 100% reality and that perception is being painted not only by the Coronavirus itself but in large part by the antagonistic press. That's my thumbnail analysis as a throwdown view at the moment.

Interestingly enough, our 'Church' schedule has been pretty solid during this time when we can not assemble ourselves physically. We have services on Sunday, online, Sunday School and Worship with a sermon from our pastor. I have a Monday evening online meeting with our Sunday School team. We have a church-wide prayer service on Tuesday evenings. This week we will be observing the Lord's Supper in our homes on Friday evening led by our pastor who will be streaming live. And, along with most other churches, we will be observing special Resurrection Day services this upcoming Sunday. In between those times, many of the classes are having their own online meetings. This tells us there are good uses of technology. Amen! I saw a posting here in our area where some kids who are into robotics and 3-D printers have developed a way to churn out protective shields for healthcare workers. We know one of the young men doing this through his mom who we work with each year in our roles as Santa and Mrs. Claus. Our local fellowship is nearing our Food Bank goal which will feed 2400 families for one month. Things aren't normal but they are not all bad. Let''s hope coming out of this we will remember going forward to keep doing good.

If you think my blogs have become a little light in content, you would be correct. I am, by nature and practice, a serial observer. To he honest, I'm not able to observe a lot these days. At least not in an out and about way. I can tell you that people who have never been that busy on Facebook have become very active. They are obviously looking for something to occupy their time. It shows. They are participating in surveys of every variety and sending them out to all their friends. Our youngest sent us a photo the other day of the puzzle he and the family were working on. He was more or less of an attitude of "It's come to this!" We told him his grandparents would be proud. My mom was a huge puzzle person and the wife's dad too. The wife has followed in that tradition. Me? Not yet. Last night when I carried Mr. Bentley out, our across the street neighbor was in his driveway shooting baskets with his teenage daughter. It was right at 10 p.m. He waved as if it was a normal thing. It wasn't. In fact, he is such a busy worker, I've never seen him out doing something like that late in the evening. I will tell you this. I bet when the daughter looks back on how we survived the Coronavirus pandemic, she will not forget the one on one time she was able to spend with her daddy. Oh yeah, I meant to tell you how it went with the curbside grocery pickup. I'll save that for another day. I suppose I'm still observing. It doesn't have a turn off switch. Have a blessed day. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: