Monday, April 27, 2020

Song by the Mamas and the Papas, "Monday, Monday, so good to me Monday mornin', it was all I hoped it would be Oh Monday mornin', Monday mornin' couldn't guarantee That Monday evenin' you would still be here with me..."

That song in today's title was a hit back in 1966 and while I would likely not get many of the lyrics correct, I do well remember that distinctive tune. Well, we do welcome another Monday and this one shows up on the radar screen as April 27, 2020. Our memory capture and processing can be pretty impressive. It can also be exasperating. On the one hand, I have stuff like the tune to that song stuck in my head. On the other hand, I may not be able to remember why I got up out of my chair and walked into the kitchen. Life is filled with mysteries wrapped up in conundrums. The wife and I have reached the age where we might just ask each other if they remember what I said I was going to do. It becomes the proverbial 'I've mislaid my glasses while they are on my face' dilemma, but, it applies to so many other things these days. You might as well laugh about it because it doesn't seem to be in any mood to go away peacefully. Last week just before her birthday she announced it was her last day to be a certain age and that tomorrow she would become this brand new age. The only problem was she was ahead of herself by one year. When I corrected her she was so glad to have gained a full year back. See what I mean? It doesn't take much to make our day around this place.

I see folks doing all kinds of stuff to honor birthdays during these stay-at-home days. Children are being treated to drive-by parades from family and friends. This is in the place of having a traditional birthday party. The other recognized days follow suit. Anniversaries of all kinds, special remembrances, and other special date observances are being celebrated but in very different ways than when we were having a 'normal' lifestyle. Last week for the wife's birthday we continued to stay at home. I made her a big breakfast. I also made a big mess, but, I did clean it up. I ordered the gift she wanted and Amazon is working to get it here. I made and gave a card to her. I wrote a blog about her. I posted a birthday tribute for her on Facebook. I instructed her to take the day off. Later in the day, I ordered her favorite from Olive Garden and went and fetched it curbside. She did receive many cards. She received a huge number of comments on Facebook. She received phone calls all day long from children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Many of these included video face to face. We were not able to gather together in person to honor her, but, I do believe she felt appreciated and honored. That was what we tried to do.

Going back to the theme found in the first paragraph, nothing illustrates this now you see it now you don't more than my blogging activity. Throughout each day I hear about, see, and grab hold of subjects that will make really good material for my blogs. I'm talking about numerous subjects. That's a good thing. Right? Not so much when you sit down at the computer and all you hear between your ears is the sound of the restless wind. I used to often tell my mom that rather than be upset and frustrated about her lagging recollection ability, she should take the time to jot it down. I've given that advice to others. Maybe even my wife. You are beginning to begin to see it. Wait for it. Wait for it. "Physician heal thyself!" I do have one of those tiny digital recording devices I could carry around with me and make audio notes. I do know it is in my upstairs office. I suppose it would be a good thing to write a note to myself to remind me to look for it. Or, I could just keep a little notepad in my pocket and jot things down. You know. The advice I have long given to others. When I was doling out the advice I had no idea it was a boomerang that would one day come back and hit me upside the head. Life works that way. Ouch! Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: