Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Watch out for the pot holes when you try to retrace your steps walking down Memory Lane.

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday, December 5, 2018. I know that many may get weary in reading about all of my Santa related escapades. If that is the case, you have my permission to skip over any and all of what might be featured in any given episode. I've already confessed that I am much more emotional as I continue to climb the mountains of time and age. The other evening when sitting in the chair at Chick-fil-A with a long line of parents and kids waiting, we had more than one family we knew who came to have photos made with us and their kids. It dawned on me. Her parents had just married when we joined the same Church together. Later, we knew this particular lady when her mom was carrying her in her womb. Now she has a 15-year-old kid, plus three more. We watched her grow up. We saw her become a servant of the Lord God of heaven. I know that if you are The Santa Claus, a claim that has been associated with me, then you are not supposed to tear up when bringing joy to all the girls and boys, but, seeing these kiddos and their kiddos and remembering our bond with their parents over so many years, well, like I said before, I don't know exactly how to handle it. Maybe I could get it out of my system by watching a rerun of 'Old Yeller' or some other sad movie. Or maybe I can just do this. Be ever thankful that after all these years we still have folks that love and respect us. I will say this. Seeing that in action, my friend, is a transcendent blessing and it causes me to thank the Lord God above for His provisions. Amen.

I hear people talking about their most memorable Christmas from their childhood. While I do have a reasonably good memory and recall, I've tried to think about one that really stands out to me. I do remember the time when mom called a meeting of the older kids. It was my older brother Jimmy, my sisters Frances and JoAnn, and yours truly. I may have been 12 or 13 at the time. I felt pretty good about being included. She told us that things were really tight for that particular year and she wanted to ask if the four of us would be willing to not have as much in order to provide a special Christmas for our younger siblings, Donald and Kayla. Everyone immediately agreed. As the build-up to Christmas Day continued, I can remember being very excited, but, in a different way. It wasn't because I contributed any finances to the gifts being purchased, but, I felt a part of the giving spirit. When that early morning came, we were all up early which was the norm in our home. Seeing Donald and Kayla so excited over the gifts left for them made me feel so special. It was a little taste of what giving is all about. One of the interesting quotations in The Scriptures is the one Luke recorded Paul saying in the Book of Acts, Chapter 20, Verse 35, where Paul quotes our Lord, "It is better to give than to receive." (Interesting because that particular saying of our Lord is not recorded anywhere else in The Scriptures.) If I come up with another recollection I will let you know, but, for now, I'll stick with this one and be thankful for it. Amen.

The good news was how I was included with the older ones. The bad news was how I was included with the older ones. The better news was what I learned that particular Christmas season. I don't think anyone would disagree that having a giving heart and a giving filled life would be a better way to journey through this life. However, we all also know, it is not easy to make that a part of who we are. To be defined by our giving spirit mirrors our Savior who came to serve, not to be served. (Matthew 20:28) I hear folks talking today about how they want to live intentionally. This has to do with what motivates our actions each day. I had one slip away from me the other day. I was in the grocery store. I was tracking down the aisles along with a mom and her three boys. She would stop her cart, choose something off the shelf, look it over, read the price, and most of the time she put it back on the shelf. This happened time and time again. The kids were laughing and talking. Mom's demeanor was serious as she tried to determine what they could and could not afford. I had this urging that I could and should pay for their groceries when they checked out. However, they got away from me and because I failed to take action based on this urging, I missed out. My loss. I later talked to the wife and she encouraged me to just do it when I felt led to do so. I do know there will be a next time because there are always those we can help if we are paying attention and if we have intention. Listen. I never said being me was easy, but, thank God, He hasn't given up on me. Or you. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: