Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Prevailing notion by many service providers: "The customer is always right, therefore, you must punish them for their arrogance."

Hello everyone and welcome. It's Tuesday, December 4, 2018, and the beat goes on. Or, at least that's what the hit song by Sonny and Cher communicated back in 1967. Some of you might have to look that one up. I am always taken aback in how some service providers deal with their customers. I received an email last week from our internet service provider, (a company with revenues just under $164 billion). It said our billing arrangement will be changing this upcoming January. The notification said that several years ago they had changed to billing for services one month in advance. (You know, billing for something that hasn't been used yet.) The notice went on to say that because of this if anyone canceled their service they would prorate the unused days and issue a refund. The new change being implemented will eliminate the prorate and refund process. Let me see if I've got this right? You get billed in advance for services you have not used yet. If you cancel those services you lose all that you have paid for the unused services. Makes perfect sense. Right? I told the wife it sounds like to me this will be the grounds for another of those class action lawsuits that will be pursued by some legal firm in the Midwest on behalf of all the aggrieved customers. After a few years, it will all be settled. Each customer will get a check for $0.50, or less, and the lawyers will be paid millions for protecting our interests. Is this a great country? Or what?

This past Saturday, we finished our third session of the season in Mindy Harmon's professional photography studio. This is our 7th year to work with Mindy and it has been our great privilege to be a part of her making magic behind the lens of her camera. Mindy has many loyal clients. This means we have been working with many of the same children, including hers, throughout their growing up years. We have never denied that we enjoy the pay we receive for our services. However, for us, it has been and continues to be first and foremost, about relationships. While we add a few events each year, our work has been predominately repeated appearances with people we enjoy working with. Each season, I read so many war stories from professional Santa's who have had nightmare types of experiences in doing this work. My response? And, I mean this sincerely: "Thank You Lord for the way we've been able to work in this endeavor." We do not take it for granted. I cannot leave this recap without again mentioning the great improvement I've experienced in using the cooling vest this season. Amazing difference! Instead of melting down from the inside out with everything from my collar to my beard being wilted after a few hours, with the ice cube-like device strapped to my body, so much better! Thanks again to my boys for going together to purchase that vest for my birthday.

Each time an iconic person passes off the scene, it becomes an opportunity to dig deep into their time here on the planet and into the contributions they have made. Such is the case with the passing of President George H. W. Bush. Let me make clear that we are 'Bush' supporters. Yes. I am aware of all the criticisms of the father and the son. I voted for them back then and would do the same again. While there appears to be an overload of coverage that goes on and on, I believe there is a reason for it. The mainstream media folks are busy grabbing hold of anything they can use to denigrate President Trump. He is a different kind of President. They don't just dislike him, they hate him, period. Therefore, by trumpeting, (no pun intended), the great civility and the great marriage and the great this, that, and the other found in President H. W., well, they believe it will draw a contrast with the current occupant of the Oval Office to the extent they can land a few more blows in their ongoing war. I know what some of you are thinking. Maybe I fall asleep every night listening to reruns of the Rush Limbaugh radio program. That would not be true. I only catch Rush if I happen to be in my truck on the road at the time his show is broadcast. Who am I to come up with such an assessment? I am an American taxpaying citizen and I can see what I see unfolding and come to my own conclusions about it. Yep. That's how sausage is being made here in The Home Office of the View From Here. Just so you know. May God bless each one and may He bless our land. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: