Friday, December 21, 2018

Clarence the angel: “Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.”

Here we go for today. This is the last Friday, December 21, 2018, before Christmas and as the old comic strip, 'Snuffy Smith' used to put it, "Time's A Wastin!" In this context, that means if we are still fiddle-faddling around in preparing for Christmas, it is time to get on with it. Back in the day, when I used to actually read a newspaper every day, the comics were a part of my daily practice. Back then, there were two full pages of comic strips and I enjoyed reading them. Not any more. As for those who still need to finish their Christmas related to-do list, I stand guilty but with an explanation. However, according to the wife, my explanation, even though we have been very occupied, mostly resembles cobbled together excuses. Therefore, I will just say that I need to do my part so she can finish her part. She is the package wrapper chief. She does a wonderful job. She has maybe six or seven that I have to contribute to before she can add the paper and the bow. I heard her tell her sister that she was 100% up-to-date on her packages that are ready to be wrapped. That comment may have been meant for me to overhear. At any rate, I do have in mind that Monday is Christmas Eve. She thinks it would be insane for me to wait until then. I'm still thinking about it. Maybe tomorrow.

When our boys were growing up we established a tradition during the Christmas holidays of watching as a family the 1946 Frank Capra movie, "It's A Wonderful Life". We did this together for many years. It became a source of understanding as many of us would quote from the movie from time to time. It surely is a classic with a morality tale about the value of a man's life in serving others. Here's my flashback from my blog, written on December 20, 2007: ~ This past Tuesday evening my wife and I celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary by going to see the live stage performance of a musical adaptation of the famous Christmas movie, "It’s A Wonderful Life". My wife had purchased the tickets earlier because she knew this was one of my all-time favorite movies. The show followed the same basic storyline from the movie but was presented through a song and dance format. The movie has nothing to fear from the live presentation but what a wonderful tribute to see something done so well with a live orchestra, a wonderful cast, in an outstanding theatre setting. ~

If we make it through our Sunday final appearance I will have suited up some 30 times this season. That's not much compared to some, but, I can tell you that I am feeling it, big time! Those who make house visits really add up the appearances. I saw a posting from one fellow who just this week was lamenting over his schedule for home visits because he was already tired but had 47 more before Christmas. (He probably does many visits in one day.) We have had a good season. We have shared in some special moments. We've also shared a few tears as well. We did more charity work this year and it was rewarding. That's an area we hope to expand going forward. You think the lights on a Christmas tree might brighten the spirit, well, you should see the eyes of a special needs child or an 85-year-old widow as they both become excited when they see Santa and Mrs. Claus. We actually feel privileged to have the ability and the strength to do these appearances. We hear the word 'authentic' quite often. We believe that to be a sincere compliment because it reflects on what we attempt in our portrayal. And, finally, I can't help myself, I really do love those we visit with. I'm not sure that's something one can fake over the long run. We hope to make some photos with our family on Christmas Day and after that, we will be glad to remove all evidence of Santa's presence. Until next year, Lord willing. Here's a heartfelt invitation to anyone out there who might read today's edition. We are having a Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at 5 p.m. this coming Monday, December 24th, at Mims Baptist Church, located at 1609 Porter Road, Conroe, Texas. I can promise you this: God will be there and you will be blessed. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: