Monday, December 31, 2018

1st Thessalonians 5:16-18 English Standard Version (ESV): "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Our first great and grand, Madelyn Joy, 
Here we go again, only this time it is our last visit for 2018. What a year! That's right. It's Monday, December 31, 2018, and I bid you a hearty hello to today and a fanciful farewell to this very busy year. I suppose the most significant life event for us was my retirement from my public job in October. Over 50 years of working and now I have fulfilled the promise I learned to project because I am now officially retired-retired. Some of my brethren who wear the Santa Claus red and white, well, they are lamenting all over the place about how they already miss this impersonation job. Not me. I do love doing it. I could probably begin bawling just thinking about some of the people we touched this past season, but, I'm always relieved when it comes time to have the suit cleaned and put up until next season. Lord willing, of course. Some have well said they believe the actual impact of my retirement starts with the new year. I will not be juggling my schedules to make this event or that event, therefore, I will be, more or less, on my own. We will see about that. I'm not one to make a lot of resolutions, however, I do hope to do what I can to be in better shape for next year's holiday season. I'm not sure all that means but it is something I do think I need to do.
Our three youngest great grands!
The upcoming year will also focus in on the greatest of all my abilities. Or anyone's. You've heard it before, avail-ability. Not leaving the house at 3:30 a.m. for a 12 hour day will change my daytime schedule. One day our eldest son dropped by to see us. He was working on a project out in our area. It was around noon time and his mom had prepared a pot of her famous stew. I didn't know it at the time, but, he later told his mom he never thought he would see the day that his dad was still in his pajamas at noon. What did he get me for Christmas? Three sets of pajamas. I can not let this pass without at least a word of explanation. On that particular day when he came by I had been up in The Home Office since before 5 a.m., working mostly on producing our custom Christmas cards. I was not, as my grandfather would have said it, all laid up like a bunch of dogs. But, I do understand his concern. He wouldn't want me to become addicted to the Gameshow Network and sit in my recliner all day munching on munchies. I will do my best not to let that happen.

Here's the truth about this year coming to a close and the one we see on the horizon: Only by the provision and grace of God. Only. He has made a way for us and I don't ever want to forget to be thankful for His presence and provision in my life. Whatever I have accomplished this past year, the past 50 plus years in my so-called working career, in my Bible teaching, in my service, and, yes, even as Santa, it is only because of God's love, mercy, and grace. I'm sorry if this sounds like a broken record, but, that's my story and I am sticking to it. (For those who don't know what the sound of a broken record is, maybe you can find an example on YouTube.) I found one for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqtb6XBBBRc Copy and paste that into your search engine and the metaphor will scream out its meaning. Back to my story. I think most of us know it is good for us to have a thankful attitude. As Dr. J. Vernon Magee would phrase it, "But, may I say unto you?" He would then give his exposition. And, here is mine. How much better for us all whenever we actually know that we know God is our provider and our thankfulness flows as a natural response to His working in our lives? I'm not finished yet. This also means we continue to recognize His great goodness even during the difficult, trying, and painful times. Sure, that's not easy. But, it is a reflection of the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I'll leave us all to think on these things as we close this chapter and look forward to the one coming up. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: