Friday, December 14, 2018

“How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, His precepts!” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Well, I do declare, it's Friday, December 14, 2018, and it got here so fast. I used to hear my Granny Mac use that 'I do declare' statement quite often. I know she most likely never connected it to its root word meaning since it stands for 'I swear to God'. There are many of those sayings like that. Probably the one I hear most often from good God-fearing folks is the use of the euphemism, 'gosh'. I am certain most of them would never, ever, use God's name is a less than respectful manner. Yet, when they sling 'gosh' here and 'gosh' there, without really being aware of it, that's exactly what they are doing. I will not even go there in trying to understand why so many folks casually throw an OMG onto their postings. (OMG, Oh My God) I'm not the word police. I am not pointing a finger at anyone and especially not at my Granny Mac. I remember as a teen we had a visiting evangelist who pointed out some things about those who use God's name as a way of cussing. He said he was less concerned about those who do not know God who often uses His name connected to the word damn. As contrasted with those who profess knowing God but often use His name to casually swear oaths or to add veracity to what they are talking about. He said one was bad language and the other could be taking God's name in vain. You decide which one is the more serious. That will give us all at least one topic to think about today. Amen.

Here's my Friday flashback from seven years ago. It may be lame, but, it also may help someone, somewhere, to form a smile. ~ I have to be reminded that a good attitude typically has more to do with me, myself, and I, versus external forces. In our Bible club, we emphasize that good clubbers should always have a good attitude. Hey, at the very least those of us who are coaches should learn to practice what we preach. What is that famous quote from the comic strip Pogo? "WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US" So true. So here's your assignment for the day. Read the puns and find one that brings you a smile and then share that smile with others. (I wouldn't recommend sharing the puns because it might be that one person's funny thing is another person's dumb thing.) Enjoy and have a good day and as my pastor friend said he was going to do more of, greet everyone with: "Merry Christmas!"

1. Two vultures board an airplane, each carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at them and says, "I'm sorry, gentlemen, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

2. Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

3. Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, "I've lost my electron." The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies "Yes, I'm positive."

4. Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused Novocain during a root canal? He wanted to transcend dental medication.

5. A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. 'But why?" they asked, as they moved off. "Because", he said, "I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."

6. These friars were behind on their belfry payments, so they opened up a small florist shop to raise funds. Since everyone liked to buy flowers from the men of God, a rival florist across town thought the competition was unfair. He asked the good fathers to close down, but they would not. He went back and begged the friars to close. They ignored him. So, the rival florist hired Hugh MacTaggart, the roughest and most vicious thug in town to "persuade" them to close. Hugh beat up the friars and trashed their store, saying he'd be back if they didn't close up shop. Terrified, they did so, thereby proving that Hugh, and only Hugh, can prevent florist friars.

7. Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him ...(Oh, man, this is so bad, it's good)... A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis. ~

That's a wrap for this week. I do hope that you will take the time to enjoy the season. In doing so, it will inevitably lead one to recognize the Reason for the Season, the coming into our world of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Enjoy. Lord willing, I will be back online come next Monday morning with some more stimulating this, that, the other, and stuff like that. Until then, may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: