Tuesday, December 19, 2017

We have so much to be thankful for. Amen and Amen.

Our dear sister in Christ, Vickie, and husband John came by for a selfie with Santa.
My wife thinks that I am a little off most of the time, but, more than a little at other times. It's Tuesday, December 19, 2017, and this is the stuff that has been making that percolator sound in my head this morning. On occasion, I have been known to be looking in the mirror in getting ready for another Santa appearance when I call out, "Do you think it's possible that I might actually be the real Santa Claus?" I can hear her looking around for the number to the mental hotline but I do have to tell you, that reflection of the image in the mirror is pretty convincing because it can even fool me at times. The other evening we had some wonderful folks who came to our home to make their own selfies with Santa. One little fellow was particularly clued into the 'Santa fantasy'. He was trying to make sense out of me being in this location when he knew that I lived and worked at the North Pole. He told me that obviously, this house was a vacation spot. He didn't stop there. Being around 8 or 9, he confessed that many of his friends had the idea that Santa Claus was not real. He said he had thoughts like that but having been in our home and seeing me had confirmed his belief because I was the real Santa. Oh, my! All of this without me saying hardly anything at all. Talk about having a vivid imagination! We did enjoy making so many memories with so many folks who dropped by.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to wish the wife and me congratulations on our making 53 years as a couple. (As a dating couple it would be closer to 56 years.) I gave a special verbal recognition of her and what she means to me in our Bible study class on Sunday morning. I also added an anecdote. I told the class that her dad handed her off to me and said, "Son, I've done the best I can. Now it's time for you to see what you can do." I went on to say that I thought I had done a pretty good job of finishing to raise her. That brought a few laughs but there's always someone in the crowd that has an alternative view. He shouted out, "How about it being the other way around and she finished raising you." Are you kidding me? Here I am sharing my heart and I get heckled? It made for good fun and I also had to share how much we appreciate the way in which the folks in our class had taken us in as one of their own. What a blessing! When we were unsure of how things might play out, God was at work to show us His continued presence in the calling He has placed on our lives. We didn't know but He did and these wonderful people helped make Him known to us. One side note, when you are one of the younger couples in the room and announce your 53rd anniversary, it doesn't have as much impact where so many probably have 60 or more. At the end of the day, we are blessed folks. We really are! Amen.

Yesterday, it was our privilege to attend a Christmas party for some older folks with special needs. They always love for Santa to come and make photos with them. The wife and I will celebrate our anniversary in a special way at a time to be announced. I am so thankful for her and the others who go each week to this apartment complex and minister to these people. The photo was taken at this gathering yesterday. I think we all know and recognize the difference between talk and walk. The brother of our Lord, James, he had much to say about that in his inspired letter. He gave an illustration of telling someone to be warm versus giving them your coat. (Book of James) We all know that words are important. However, it was our Lord Himself who asked the question, "Why do you call me Lord, but, you do not do the things I have commanded you to do?" (My translation of Luke 6:46) Stings, doesn't it? I know I feel it. Christmas is a great time for us to become the hands, the feet, and the heart of our Savior in showing love towards others. I just have to say it one more time, "Thank You Lord for Your blessings on me." Have a great rest of the day and may our Great God add His blessings to us all. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: