Tuesday, December 12, 2017

“I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month.” ― Harlan Miller

Good morning and welcome where we will be observing today, Tuesday, December 12, 2017. We have been blessed to have our boys, their wives and children, and their grandchildren living in our immediate area throughout our time as a couple. That is about to change. Our granddaughter Brittany is about to move away. Her husband, Ryan, is in the Army. They will be on assignment in Kansas. They will be taking with them our newest great grand Gabi. That's her with her great grand Poppy Claus. Being scattered here and there around our geographical area had already made it somewhat difficult to see everyone on a regular basis. However, we still were able to see everyone from time to time. This transition is going to be particularly difficult for our Chris and his wife Sherrie. Brittany and Gabi have been in their home for the past six months. I can't even begin to describe the attachment she has for our son, her Paw Paw. And, it is 100% mutual. I do thank God for Ryan's willingness to wear the uniform of our nation in service on behalf of us all. This is the earliest we have ever had to give any of our offspring their Christmas gifts. I guess the cliche of "you're not in Kansas anymore" will no longer apply to our Brittany. I pray that God bless and keep them as they travel this week to get settled in there. Amen.

As part of my occupational exposure, as Santa, I, not surprisingly, do meet a lot of children. I at times need to fill in some time while the photograph folks are working on their equipment. During one of these interludes the other evening I asked one little girl what she enjoyed most about the Christmas season. Without hesitation she said it was the time that we all celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. That made me feel warm to know that many children do recognize the Real Reason for the Season. On the other hand, some kids are dragged away still calling out all the gadgets and gizmo's they are expecting. One missionary recently wrote about how that, in his opinion, materialism had so dominated America for so long it makes it difficult for people to see themselves as being lost, helpless, and in need of a Savior. He contrasted this to the work he is doing in Africa where people are impoverished and hungry. Along with the physical hunger they endure, it appears to him they are spiritually hungry as well. It reminds me of that local congregation that our Savior addressed in the Book of The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 3, Verses 14-22. “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked, I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” Scary when you consider this was addressed to a local congregation!

Poppy Claus with great and grand Madi-girl.
This morning ,if all goes well, and Lord willing, Mrs. Claus and I will be doing a PTO fundraiser event for an elementary school. I received a note last night that said 281 children had signed up for photos with Santa. They want me to get there in time to speak to the children over the intercom during morning announcements. I wonder if it's okay to say girls and boys? That seems more appropriate than good morning students, but, there may be rules about stuff like that. As best I can remember, we kids growing up always enjoyed Santa and his role at Christmastime, however, I don't recall ever seeing him, anywhere. They did have a fellow come to our school who brought a trained horse or donkey to the gym and entertained us. About all I remember about that was the fact that the animal made a mess on the hardwood floor. Sorry. I can't remember the tricks they did. I suppose even back then I knew someone had to clean up that mess. I've been told that when the word gets around that I am willing to do charity events like this one, well, they said I will have probably 20 requests for next season. We are doing this one for a lady that we have known for a long time. Any other requests will have to be responded to based on our limited availability. I do hope you have a good day and that we all will find ourselves in a thankful response to all the blessings God has given to us. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: