Thursday, December 21, 2017

“Christmas, when observed with the right spirit, still has the power to call miracles from Heaven to Earth.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich

"I'm late, I'm late for A very important date. No time to say hello, goodbye, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late I'm late and when I wave, I lose the time I save." That quote from the Mad Hatter of 'Alice and Wonderland' fame, well, it pretty much gives you an overview of my status on this Thursday, December 21, 2017. I'm not complaining, just sharing. That's the way we get by when we are sharing our 'oh woe is me' mantra. It's almost as good as the pass we get to say anything about someone if we add at the end, 'bless their heart'. Given all of that, how in the world are you doing on this day that the Lord has made, and I might add, and given to us? What will I do with it? What will you do with it? It does help if we see it as an opportunity and a gift from above. How we view the days that God has given to us will greatly impact how we live them out. The famous verse lifted from the 90th Division of the Psalms, Verse 12 says, ""So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." (King James Bible, KJV) The sense of that verse can be seen in this translation from a modern, respected translation, "So teach us to consider our mortality, so that we might live wisely." (NET Bible) The bottom line: Each day is precious and it is ours to use to fulfill the purpose God has given for our life. Now that's something for us all to ponder as we consider it's implications. Amen.

I have been finding out some things lately. One has to do with these medications that are supposed to be able to be opened. Since they were produced and sold to be used, one would conclude that they are able to be opened. I've got news for you. Not so much for older people. Lately, I've been on a steady regimen of Vicks DayQuil LiquiCaps. According to the tiny instructions, they are designed so they can be torn open. Maybe by the Olympic champion who tears old 10-inch thick phone books in half for practice. I tell you, it's always something. Early in the morning, even my scissors get all contrary when I'm trying to use them to break into these little Fort Knox packages. The wife went to our primary care doctor with some shoulder and neck pain. After checking her out, he told her it was likely tension knots. He told her to go home and to tell me to give her a neck massage and do the chores for the next three days. Are you kidding me? Obviously, he was implying that I might be part of the cause for her pain in the neck. This is the same dude who canceled my appointment on short notice a few weeks ago. I asked her if she told him I was still angry about him standing me up. She proudly said, "Of course not." See what I have to deal with? I tell you, life can be tough, tough indeed!

Yesterday, we participated in a gift-giving operation. Big time! The program was designed so the law enforcement personnel could give out the gifts, hence the name, 'Operation Blue Elf'. We were there to make photographic memories. We came away as feeling both humbled and privileged to be a part of this amazing illustration of our community coming together to help make Christmas a little bit brighter for the less fortunate. The other day I was at a company and a fellow was waiting to have his truck unloaded. I went over to him and asked if he was ready for Christmas. He said he was trying to be and that he could tell from my appearance that I obviously was ready. (The Santa Motif is always a dead give away.) He then began to tell me his story. Back in February, he had a heart attack, one he was not supposed to survive. They called it a 'widow maker'. He did survive and was doing well when Hurricane Harvey hit. The storm pretty much wiped them out. He had just returned to work within the last few days. I offered him one of my Santa cards along with my heartfelt wishes that he and his family would have a Merry Christmas. He asked if I could spare a couple more of our cards to give to his three small children. I was glad to do it. He said, "Bless you, bless you, bless you." My point? It doesn't take much folks to encourage someone along the way. Not much at all. Maybe we all will find someone today that we can help along life's way. That would fulfill a part of our purpose. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: