Thursday, December 7, 2017

“Christmas is a necessity. There has to be at least one day of the year to remind us that we're here for something else besides ourselves.” ― Eric Sevareid

We are moving right along, merrily, merrily, not rowing a boat, but at times it seems I do have to deal with a few rapids thrown in for good measure. I'll not decode that sentiment, but, I think most know what I am talking about. I wished I hadn't said that. Because I'm pretty sure I don't always know what I am talking about. At any rate, I do want to wish each and everyone a wonderfully blessed and productive day, here on this Thursday, December 7, 2017. Many will recognize today because it is a day of remembrance of the surprise attack by the Japanese on the US fleet moored at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in 1941. I remember growing up there were oodles of people who would immediately tell me where they were when they got the news about this deadly attack. I'm sure I could find some today but they are surely passing off the scene. It's like my generation and the assassination of President Kennedy. We all remember exactly where we were when we got that news. For my boys, it's most likely the devastating September 11, 2001, terror attacks against our nation. Observing dates that commemorate key events in our nation's history help us to connect the dots of our development. I do know that many families were impacted by the attack on Pearl Harbor and I pause to remember the lives lost and those left to pick up the pieces. May God bless them and may God bless America is my prayer. Amen.

Our appearance this past Tuesday evening as Santa and Mrs. Claus at the Chick-fil-A in Magnolia, Texas, was highlighted by a set-aside time to deal with special needs children. The manager there coordinated with the parents in their cars to bring in the child at a particular time. Several ended up having to cancel but our first little guy was dealing with leukemia. Another not only had autism but was also highly susceptible to illnesses. Then we had a special young lady who we have known since she was born. She has an aggressive form of autism. I still remember the first time they brought her to see Santa back in 2010. (Photo) They didn't know how she would react. She immediately ran over, grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. She loved us back then and she still does today. On Tuesday, the restaurant was packed. Literally. Standing room only. The hyped up kids were lined up and biting at the bit. Yet, the parents were able to contain them while we showered some special attention on these special kids. Those waiting are to be commended because we were able to bring some momentary joy to these families. The outstanding studio photographer we work with each year sent me a note the other day. She is planning a similar in-studio day for next year where special needs kids can come and have their portraits made with Santa. She said she felt like we have a higher calling to show love towards these children. Santa's heart was full the other evening and it appears his eyes might be leaking a little as he writes about it today. I may need to get that checked out.

I saw a posting by a fellow Santa out in California. He had been asked to tour a large children's hospital and upon leaving he had this assessment: "First tears of the season." I get that. Big time! It reminds us all that we do live in a world where folks, just like you and I, are dealing with all kinds of challenges. After losing our baby sister Kayla to leukemia back in 1978, my mom became a regular supporter of The St. Jude's Children's Hospital. As a tribute to her heart for suffering children, we designated this charity at her home going and raised over $3000.00 for St. Jude's in her name. I know she would be proud. I pause to remind us all of the greatest need that all humanity shares. That being a relationship with Creator God through His provision of His one and only Son, Jesus, The Christ. We are in the midst of celebrating His very coming into our world that He might save us. I caught a video the other day of a modern group singing 'Oh Happy Day' at a very glittery celebrity event. While everyone was swaying and into the music, I don't know if they paid any attention whatsoever to the message but here are the lyrics as penned by the great musician, the Rev. Edwin Hawkins,

Oh happy day (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
He washed my sins away (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)

He taught me how to watch, fight and pray, fight and pray
And live rejoicing every, everyday
Oh happy day
He taught me how

Oh happy day (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)
Oh happy day (oh happy day)

They did hear the truth and that is the only way to have a truly happy day. May God bless each and every one Amen. ....More later.

No comments: