Monday, December 11, 2017

“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas ...perhaps ... means a little bit more!” ― Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

There are times when being Santa is such a blessing!
Today. It's Monday, back to work, December 11, 2017. I do know that I was voted some special recognition in my high school graduating class. You know what I am talking about. The 'most likely to' category. I'm trying to remember but I don't think it was, 'the most likely to admit it when proven to be wrong', or 'the most likely to fake my death and start a new life somewhere else', or, 'the most likely to star in my own reality show', but had they really been tuned in they could have come up with this one, 'the most likely to become The Real Santa Claus'. I happen to think I am starring in my own reality show entitled 'This Is My Life'. Yeah. I know the script can be pretty dull but here's what I've heard others say, "It is what it is." Maybe the person who first coined that was voted most likely to come up with an inane saying. That sounded a little harsh. Even to me. At any rate, we are thankful for the journey that God has given to us. For those interested, as Santa, (SC for short), I am hearing lots of requests for Baby Alive, Legos, (lots of girls want them), Hatchamon Hatchimals, (eggs that hatch into critters), Paw Patrol stuff, The American Girl Doll and accessories (translated = $$$$), latest PlayStation and XBox gadgetry along with I-Phones even from the youngest kids. I offer those as a public service contribution but with no implied warranties. You know. Tis the Season!

One lady posted on the Chick-fil-A Facebook page about their encounter with Santa, (yours truly). That was last Thursday evening. Here is her exact quote: "My daughter asked Santa for snow tonight! Heck, even I believe he is the real Santa now!!!" I think this is where I get to say I rest my case. But I won't because it is all a part of the imaginary fantasy that helps define this season. Reality does point to gift giving because what has been called the most popular verse in the Bible says this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) Speaking of that as the greatest gift ever given, it reminds me that every good gift originates with our Creator God. "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above; it comes down from the Father of lights [the Creator and Sustainer of the heavens], in whom there is no variation [no rising or setting] or shadow cast by His turning [for He is perfect and never changes]". (Book of James, Chapter 1, Verse 17, from the Amplified Bible, AMP) Christmas gift giving has some connection to the presents brought to the Christ child by the wise men. Three gifts. Not necessarily just three wise men or three kings. The text from Matthew implies a much larger entourage. They did bring Him gifts. "As they came into the house and saw the child with Mary his mother, they bowed down and worshiped him. They opened their treasure boxes and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh." (Matthew 2:11, from the NET Bible) That's one of my favorite passages because the Greek is emphatic where it says when they came into the presence of The Child they literally fell down and worshipped Him. Not a bad way to celebrate Christmas, my friend, not bad at all! Amen.

I respect those who do not want to have anything to do with Santa Claus out of their reverence for the True Meaning of Christmas. While my way of seeing it might appear to be an enigma, I have always embraced the festive activities while never even for one second compromising my understanding of why we have a Christmas Day to celebrate. I do love the song made famous by the late, great Eddy Arnold, "C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S". Arnold helped write the song with Jenny Lou Carson. Here's how it goes:

When I was but a youngster, Christmas meant one thing, 
That I'd be getting lots of toys that day. 

I learned a whole lot different when Mother sat me down 
And taught me to spell Christmas this way: 

"C" is for the Christ Child born upon this day; 
"H" for herald angels in the night. 
"R" means our Redeemer; 
"I" means Israel; 
"S" is for the star that shone so bright. 
"T" is for the three wise men, 
They who traveled far. 
"M" is for the manger where He lay. 
"A" is for all He stands for; 
"S" means shepherds came, 
And that's why there's a Christmas Day.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Until next time, take time to be reminded to remember Him. Amen and Amen. .....More later.

No comments: