Friday, December 8, 2017

“At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe.” ― Chris Van Allsburg, The Polar Express

From the Houston Chronicle. For some reason, I like the sweater.
It was a beautiful 'Christmas Card' ride into work this morning with the dusting of snow we received overnight. Having worked all day yesterday, then rushing home and changing into my Jolly Ole Elf attire to entertain children for two hours at the Chick-fil-A, well, when I got back home it did not take me long to find my pajamas. As Santa, I was informed about the white stuff falling from the sky beginning at 10 p.m. last night. I believe I was so excited I had this response, "It is? Okay. Thanks." I had a decent accumulation on my work truck this morning and I did pause to thank God for the beauty of His display of natural splendor. There may be one of those that says when you feel too old to get out and play in the snow, well, I'll let you fill in the blank because, for me, I had a most wonderful night of restful sleep.

Good morning world. Several fellows I know like to say this when they are asked how they are doing, "It's good to be on this side of the dirt." I'll let you mull over that one as we get ready to deal with the day the Lord has given to us on this Friday, December 8, 2017. One of the most aggravating things to me is a traffic signal that is often malfunctioning. At the same intersection. Flashing red. Four-way stop. We are in the 21st century but for some reason, this particular traffic signal has all the king's men and all the king's horses stumped. Yep. They are at it again. Two trucks and a supervisor's car. They are working inside that same box that I've seen them working in, time and time again. Those of us who ride down this particular major roadway are taxpayers. Many are on their way to engage in activities that provide the funds necessary to pay those taxes. Here's a note to elected officials: Before you get a bronze plaque at a park with your name on it, take care of the basics, like, keeping the traffic signals functioning. That will also make it easier for the little old lady who was somewhat puzzled by the flashing red lights. I could tell she was trying to remember if that was covered when she took her driver's test. I'm not sure they had automated signals that far back. Kidding only. Don't write me. I know she had every intention of going whenever it came her time, that is if she ever figured out when it was her time.

I am feeling somewhat weary of late, but when I get that way I try to remember a few things. I am somewhat overwrought at my own doing. Even today, my boys will remind me of the rule when they were growing up. My eldest reminded me of it when we were talking about this very subject earlier this week. "Self-inflicted means you are not allowed to complain about it." Secondly, I remember my parents and how they were actively engaged and very busy each day well into their mid-80's. And, most important of all, I am thankful to be physically able to do what I do. I thought about including the mental part but I didn't want to make it easier for someone to mock my testimony. Given all of that, one thing is still obvious. I'm not keeping up with my business like I kind of sort of do, most of the time. On the other hand, I am enjoying the cooler weather. How about you? I even endured that first-of-the-season heating smell here in my work office yesterday morning. Okay. I admit it. It felt pretty good. I turned it off before anyone else came in. I do have a reputation to protect even if my toes were feeling a little numb. Granny Mac prophesied that one day I would know what it's like to be cold. I may not be quite there yet but I am definitely on my way.

We do live in a convoluted and messed up world. A national museum decided to go ahead with an art exhibit despite a campaign to try and get it axed. The painter is best known for his works of younger girls in various degrees of undress. These girls would have been underaged as the term is defined. In the case of Judge Roy Moore, the liberal folks want him lynched over unproven charges that he dated or solicited teenaged girls 40 years ago. I don't know the truth of that situation. I do hope the truth will come out. I mention this only because of the outcry from left-leaning art lovers in support of this controversial museum exhibit. One wrote a defense of the artist and his underage subjects as being acceptable based on it being a natural portrayal under the umbrella of true artistic representation by a master. I'll not try and unbundle that one for you, but, there's a glaring revelatory disconnect in it if someone takes the time to see it. Just a little drive-by commentary on my way to the door marked Friday Exit. It may already be illuminated. I do hope that you will have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Take care and may God bless us, one and all, Amen. .....More later.

No comments: