Friday, December 22, 2017

“Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it's Christmas.” ― Dale Evans Rogers

Now, this is a Friday to behold, on this December 22, 2017! That's because our Company is taking a Christmas break and will be shut down until Tuesday, January 2, 2018. We have an abundance of things to do through Christmas Day, but, after then I will have seven, count them,  7 days of recuperation. I think everyone who knows us is aware that we might have been a wee bit over the top in our scheduling of so many Santa appearances. Twenty. But, God was good to allow us to complete these despite an illness epidemic that pretty much was hitting children of all ages. (I have one today and one tomorrow and I will be done with Santa for this season.) A manager we work with at Chick-fil-A had this to say, "I don’t know how y’all do it. Kids and adults are dropping like flies around here with the flu and strep. Y’all are a blessing to so many!" I did divulge our secret to her,  "I haven't completely dodged all the runny-nosed kids, but, with Dayquil and prayer we've been able to keep our scheduled visits, thus far." May I tell you this, please don't overlook the 'prayer' part as most significant. Not only in our being able to stay healthy enough to come to our job, to keep our Santa schedule, but, even more importantly, to be able to be faithful in our worship and service to Him through our local congregation. Prayer. It matters. It really does. Amen.

Our interim pastor on Wednesday evening had something to say about the empty chair on Christmas Day. He told how his father-in-law had passed away last December and how his dad had passed away on December 23, several years ago. He conducted his dad's memorial service on December 26, of that year and they had the viewing on Christmas Day. One of the things he recalled was how that when they did do the family Christmas, his dad had presents already under the tree for everyone. That made it a memorable Christmas, but, the empty chair is a reality for most of us as we face the holidays. This will be our first Christmas without mom and dad. My how they loved family get-togethers. But, none of us should feel cheated because God in His grace and provision gave them to us for such a good long time, and, for me, I will always be thankful for that. No tears? I didn't say that. Plenty of tears because we miss them but they come mixed with a sense of joy and appreciation. My heart goes out to those who will be facing the 'empty chair' this Christmas Day, and, I pray that God will surround us all with His peace, mercy, and the power of His presence. Amen.

I'll take the blogging one day at a time while I am off. Because of this, let me wish you all a most wonderful and blessed Christmas. Here's some of my favorite verses that portrays what Christmas means to those who have put their faith in trust in God's provision, "4) But when [in God’s plan] the proper time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the [regulations of the] Law, 5) so that He might redeem and liberate those who were under the Law, that we [who believe] might be adopted as sons [as God’s children with all rights as fully grown members of a family]. 6) And because you [really] are [His] sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying out, 'Abba! Father!' 7) Therefore you are no longer a slave (bond-servant), but a son; and if a son, then also an heir through [the gracious act of] God [through Christ]. (Letter to the Galatians, Chapter 4, as rendered in the Amplified Bible, AMP) These are most powerful truths! Think about those things. Until next time, you hear me exclaim, ere I drive out of sight— “Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!” (Lifted and adapted from the poem, "A Visit from St. Nicolas", attributed to Clement Clarke Moore in 1837.)  May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: