Wednesday, May 31, 2017

“The day we find the perfect church, it becomes imperfect the moment we join it.” ― Charles Haddon Spurgeon, (1834-1892), called the Prince of Preachers

I'm glad of one thing about it being Wednesday, May 31, 2017. I don't have to adjust the calendar on my watch this month. I know. I hear that rumbling out on the fruited plain. If that's my greatest problem, maybe I should look for something a little more serious. Thanks. I will keep that in mind. In my recent trips to Louisiana, I've left right after teaching my Bible study lesson. This put me driving through the East Texas roadways on Church Day Sunday. I am always impressed by the little meeting places that dot the roads where people gather to praise God and encourage one another. Seeing a small building with dozens of cars in the parking lot tells me there is still hope for our nation. I know. That is clearly in the eye of the beholder, but, that's what I thought when I observed folks being faithful to the admonition of the Scriptures, "And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:24-25, New King James Version)

I think this little laptop is a lot like me. Nearly everything on this computer is no longer supported. That means they cannot guarantee the results of any given program on any given day. I live with that every day and I don't need an out of date little laptop to tell me about it. The other day I had to go to the big box store to pick up a few items. The store was pretty much deserted. They had maybe 7 or 8 checkers standing out in the aisle encouraging people to use their services. Question. Where are these turkey lurkies when the place is overrun with people? At any rate, I noticed they had a new device for checking up on one's health. I sat down and it had about a dozen options. I chose the 'true health' age feature. That led me through many different screens with different questions. It weighed me and took my blood pressure. I did my best to answer the questions correctly and it gave me a score of 66 years. I thought to myself. Not bad since I will soon be 71. However, truth always trumps anything I might think. This verse came to mind, "Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away." (James 4:14, New American Standard Bible). 


Let me tell you something that really matters. God cares and people care. I've already received many comments concerning those who are lifting up dad to our heavenly Father. We know that prayer works because God set it up to work. No. I can't explain to anyone exactly how it works but He invited us into His throne room based on the finished work of our Lord and Savior. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16) That's an invitation. Jesus made it clear that we do not come to God to inform Him of anything. He already knows all about it, period. However, we come because He has invited us to do as the old song says, "take your burden to the Lord and leave it there." Thanks to each and every person who is doing just that, especially for our dad. Okay. I suppose I have been waxing somewhat theological today but if our theology isn't a part of who we are each day, well, we better check up on what we are believing. Take care, and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: