Friday, May 5, 2017

Another day ....... Another challenge!

No one said it would be easy. Life. It can be like a roller coaster ride. After releasing her from the hospital, she came home, had the birthday celebration, but, later in the evening mom began to struggle to breathe. The home healthcare RN came yesterday morning and checked her and thought she should be taken to the ER because she thought she might have pneumonia. Another day. Another challenge. Another ambulance ride for mom. She has been admitted and I do appreciate prayers on her behalf. Dad is following up with different medical staff regarding the situation with his back, going forward. It would appear that pain management is his only option at this time. He is also in need of prayer. It's Friday, May 5, 2017, and, let me be clear how these developments for our beloved aging parents are not unprecedented. Many have dealt with similar, if not greater challenges. We can only be overwhelmed with thankfulness for the many years of health they have enjoyed. We know that God has them in His hands and we pray for His mercy and grace to flow into their situation at this time. Amen.

It wasn't on my bucket list. But you already know, I don't have a bucket or a list. However, I now know what it feels like to be trapped in one of those commercial car washes. The ones where you stand at a window and watch your car go by. It happened on our way home from Louisiana Wednesday evening. I've been in some rain storms before. I've driven through some flooded streets. We had us one extended super duper blind rainstorm driving home. The windshield wipers were doing their thing but there was no way they could even begin to keep up with the deluge engulfing our passage. No pulling off. The shoulders were flooded and other people driving most likely could not have seen us. We were all thankful when we finally made it home. White knuckle driving. The wife was being driven by our middle son and they were behind me. I called her. She was alarmed, "Why are you calling me when you can't even see where you are going?" Me: "I was returning your call. You just called me." She said she didn't call me but she admitted she had been working on her phone, looking at her emails. The good news: God watched over us and gave us clean vehicles as a way of reminding us of His provision.

Thinking about mom's situation reminds me of the Apostle Paul's vision for what it means to finish this earthly pilgrimage in exchange for an eternity in the presence of Almighty God. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." (Philippians 1:21-24) The knowledge that life is better when we go to be with Jesus is not, as some would have it, a made up hopeful and wistful concept. It's the actual truth for a believer. Jesus put it this way, "Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." (John 14: 1-3) People ask me if I know exactly where heaven is. I know it is real but I can't give them coordinates of its location. However, I do know this, that where it is, our Savior is there and when we leave here we will be wherever He abides. That some good news folks. Good News Indeed! Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I will see you next time, Lord willing. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: