Monday, May 1, 2017

"Who do you trust more to tell the truth – Trump's White House or the national political media? Based on a poll conducted with around 2,000 adults between April 25 and 26 by Morning Consult, more Americans would say the former. In fact, 37 percent of the participants sided with Trump's White House over 29 percent for the media." ~ Source: AOL News Website

Good morning and welcome back. To Monday, that is, and we have a brand new month to work with, beginning with today, May 1, 2017. Last Friday I was driving in early in the wee hours of the morning and I heard the BBC doing their version of reviewing President Trump's first 100 days in office. I know that 100-day threshold for analysis dates back to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, but, to a businessman like Mr. Trump, it must seem rather arbitrary. In other words, he's had some missteps and some setbacks, but, it's the media that is totally absorbed in this as a measurement of effectiveness. He was elected to a four-year term. He is dealing with about as hostile of an environment as any President in recent memory. How so? The mainstream media is in open warfare against him and his election. He faces an entrenched establishment made up of lifetime politicians who prioritize their particular interests first. This includes his own party. I did not support his candidacy but I did vote for him and I do hope he figures out a way to navigate through these rough waters to accomplish change which is what most voted for. It's hard not to be for him when you see who is against him. Sometimes the opposition defines the value of the struggle.

Dad visiting mom in the hospital last Saturday.
Plans are made but we are not always able to execute them as expected. We had planned on the wife leaving Louisiana on Saturday to be here on Sunday to help celebrate our middle son's birthday. That didn't happen because my mom was taken by ambulance and admitted to the hospital on Friday night. She has some continuing infections and was slightly dehydrated. My wife was needed to help care for mom, so, she stayed, and I carried the birthday banner for Jimmy and his four children. It wasn't exactly what we had planned but we worked it out. Whatever it is that we do, we know that ultimately God is in control. The writings from the New Testament Book of James gives us this inspired insight, ~ "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit'— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that. As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.'" (Chapter 4:13-17 from the English Standard Version)

You hear folks saying, just be flexible. That is well and good but if my arthritis got that memo, he obviously ignored it. I think he's actually formed a chorus and they like to sing a lot, even in the night hours. Some of you will know exactly what I am talking about. I used to think I was hip and now every time I hear that word, it reminds me of those choral arrangements, typically, always in progress. Often, out of tune. Oh well, I'm thankful it's not any worse than it is. The wife might be coming home today. I hope so. I knew I needed to straighten up a few things and make our bed. I must have had that on my mind because I was wide awake and up taking care of business at 2:45 a.m. this morning. I greatly over-estimated how much time it would take for me to get my very few chores done. I probably lost at least 20 to 25 minutes of sleep. Maybe I can get a refund later. I do hope you have a more well-ordered life than me, but, whatever it is, we all have to deal with it, one day at a time.  I pray that God will help us to do just that. Amen. .....More later. 

No comments: