Monday, May 22, 2017

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?" ~ Mark 8:36

It's Monday, May 22, 2017, and my wife is back at home, and things are better. Things are always better when she is around. I've got nearly 53 years of experience to prove it. Staying at the home where I spent many years as a kid growing up always puts the memory recall process into overdrive. Mom was lingering but not suffering and I stepped outside to take a break. I could hear the kids up on the playground at the school having a great time. The exact same playground where I played. I had a couple of fights on that playground as well. The Kansas City Southern train blared its horn and several dozens of cars rambled by. I was in the backyard where I couldn't see the train but the sound and vibrations were enough to shake the ground a little, and, I could see it. In my mind's eye. Just like I've done a few thousand times before. A major facet of the life God had given to us was about to take her heavenly flight. Meanwhile, the world seemed oblivious to our plight. It reminded me of how I felt as a kid when some of our family died. On our way out to the cemetery, I looked out the car window and noticed that people were going about their regular affairs. Wait a minute. Don't they know? Haven't they heard? Not really. Life goes on. That's how God designed it. Ecclesiastes Chapter Three:


1) To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:

2) A time to be born,
    And a time to die;
A time to plant,
    And a time to pluck what is planted;

3) A time to kill,
    And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
    And a time to build up;

4) A time to weep,
    And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
    And a time to dance;

5) A time to cast away stones,
    And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
    And a time to refrain from embracing;

6) A time to gain,
    And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
    And a time to throw away;

7) A time to tear,
    And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
    And a time to speak;

8) A time to love,
    And a time to hate;
A time of war,
    And a time of peace.

Many people struggle with Ecclesiastes because they think it's so dark and down. Read all of it. The only way to make something out of the life that God gave to us is to find out what the writer of Ecclesiastes found out, (most likely written by Solomon, son of David). The summation at the end of the story, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil." (Chapter 12, Verses 13-14) I'm so glad my mom understood this truth. We talked about it many times. She was ready. I mentioned to those assembled at her home-going service about her heart 's concern for her family. She wanted each of them to know Jesus. We talked about it many times. She had learned something. That's it. The single most important issue of life. Knowing Jesus. Preparing for that day when we will no longer be here, but, we will arrive at our eternal destination. We talked about it many times. Take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: