Tuesday, March 21, 2017

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hello and welcome from me, myself, and I. Contrary to what many might think, I am not coming to you from a hidden, undisclosed location. I actually do the finishing touches on each edition here at my work - workstation. I find myself in the same situation here on this Tuesday, March 21, 2017. I thought maybe I should share a recent photo taken here at the place where most of my blogs are birthed. The one shown was taken way before daylight, yesterday morning. I must have had a good reason to be smiling. It may have been the third cup of Community that put me on the right track. When people ask about my job situation I suppose that Facebook designation might apply. "It's Complicated." Yes. I am retired. I am blessed to draw a pension from my previous employer. I am blessed to receive the benefits from the monies paid into the Social Security system. And, also very blessed to work a regular job, five days a week. I do have some who ask if I ever intend to pause long enough to enjoy myself. How do they know I'm not enjoying myself now? I read the other day that here in our country those still working full time who are 75 or older has increased by 76% in the last two decades. The owner of our Company knows that when he thinks I need to be furloughed to the green green grass of home, all he has to do is to say the word. The wife and I were watching one of those game warden programs the other day. An older fellow had wandered off from the home where he lived with his daughter. They lived in an area surrounded by heavily wooded and rugged terrain. He was 80 years old and suffered from dementia. He had been gone for several hours. They were afraid he would get tired, sit down, and perhaps fall asleep. They mounted an all-out search. After many hours they found him unharmed but very disoriented. I told the wife that could easily be me in less than ten years. She made me feel so much better when she said, "You are so right!"

I read about a sales clerk at a ladies clothing store who dealt with a customer returning some jeans. The jeans had been too tight but when the clerk asked the lady, she simply said she was returning them because they had hurt her feelings. A customer service technician told a caller the person they were looking for would be back in 20 minutes. The customer demanded what time zone the 20 minutes would be calculated in. A painter shared how a mom and her ten-year-old son had chosen one of her paintings to purchase. She asked what they liked about the painting and before the mom could respond, the young boy blurted out, "Yours was wider so it will cover the three holes in my wall." A huge celebration was held for a resident of an assisted living facility. The resident was marking his 100th birthday. Another very elderly resident introduced her son to the birthday boy. The fellow celebrating his birthday asked how old the boy was. The lady said 81. The birthday boy said, "Wow, they grow up so fast, don't they?" A defendant was unhappy to be in court so he decided to cop an attitude. The judge asked, "Where do you work?" He responded, "Here and there." The judge asked, "What do you do for a living?" He responded, "This and that." The judge announced, "Take him away." He responded, "Wait; when will I get out?" The judge had the last laugh, "Sooner or later." These are reported to be true stories from the 'Readers Digest'.

I have some similar stories but too many of them are on me, therefore, I thought I would hold back on them, hoping to preserve the smidgen of respect I still have. I have more or less gone underground on my reporting of the political happenings unfolding before our eyes. That is intentional. I really don't know what to say at this point. I never even thought about counting on the hope and change promised by the last administration, but, I am very much still hoping for change. As trite as it may sound, I think we all just have to adopt a wait and see approach. I am still plugged in and paying attention, however, the entrenched power lobbies didn't get that way by going along with change. I've said all along they are formidable and what you see every day reflects them using all their accumulated influence to oppose the changes promised by our new President. He could sure use some support right now. From his own party. Membership in the 'do nothing' cabal does not require party affiliation. Self-interest and self-preservation makes up what they are all about. I think you've heard all of this before so I will allow you to form your own conclusions. Meanwhile, I recommend we renew our faith and trust in our Sovereign God who will make all things right in His own time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: