Friday, March 17, 2017

“Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises.” – Pedro Calderon de la Barca, Spanish Poet and Playwright, 1600-1681

I think I've been told that we are Scotch-Irish. When I plugged my info into the popular ancestor search database it asked that I log into the section marked 'we don't have a clue.' That's a joke. We might also throw some Welsh into the mix and who knows what else. The doctor I used for many years was very set upon discovering what lost tribe of Israel he was associated with. He thought he had figured which one I was a part of. If it turns out to be important, I probably should have paid more attention to what he was saying. All of that was a key part of the religion he pursued. He was considered to be a respected teacher within the sect he followed. He usually wore me out talking about all the tribe stuff when all I really wanted to know was how my health was doing. Just in case, I wore some green today so that I can be included in the celebration of St. Patrick's Day. All of this is going on while we embrace today, Friday, March 17, 2017. I've been a little less focused on this celebration since they debunked the priest driving out all the snakes from Ireland. I believe the fossil record concluded there had never been any snakes to drive out which would have made driving them out a wee bit easier. I think one of the things folks are invited to do is to become Irish for this one day. That way they can wear green, go to parties, and drink a whole lot of green beer. Sounds like some good old American capitalism to me. What say you? And, oh yeah, here's an Irish blessing for one and all, "May your neighbors respect you, Trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, And heaven accept you."

Let me share a few odds and ends that caught my attention. ~ I suppose we had to know this would happen, sooner or later. A company now provides fake friends for a fee to make selfies with their customer. I wonder if they show up singing those haunting words from the Mr. Rogers' theme, "Won't you please, Won't you please, Please won't you be my neighbor?" The fee begins at $75 per photo. Who said you can't buy friends? ~ I read about a high school in Iowa that sent a letter of apology to another high school because their fans had worn red, white, and blue colors to their game. That was their common practice. The apology said it was not their intention to offend some on the opposing team who were children of immigrant families. Another high school in Tulsa, Oklahoma blocked their students from bringing flags and banners on "USA Night" out of fear that it might offend someone. In South Carolina, the American Flag was banned from the stands at a high school football game out of fear that it might offend Hispanic players on the opposing team. ~ A simple definition of patriotism goes like this: Devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty. My question to us all is this. What will be the state of patriotism over time if it is replaced by political correctness? And, what will be the results for our nation? Some food for thought for us all.

Today's edition is the 28th since I passed that 2,500 mark. There's little doubt that I can still generate copy because several of the 28 have received this response from my number one reader: L-O-N-G. I did not need to ask her to clarify the meaning of her assessment. When I think about all the stuff I come in contact with that immediately presents itself as being great blog material, but, when it comes time to remember it so I can write about it, alas, they have hidden themselves, often they are never to be found again. (That's a tough one because not remembering them makes it difficult to determine if they were good to begin with. However, I do believe it to be a reasonable supposition.) Just think. If I could find some of those things, maybe I would do less thrashing about each day. Yet, I keep on keeping on and hopefully like a broken clock that's right at least twice a day, maybe, I occasionally land on something of value to share. Here's one I know is of great value. Last Wednesday evening I shared some thoughts from the 139th Division of the Psalms. The inspired text as given through the Shepherd King David recognizes the incomprehensible greatness of our Infinite God, but, he also shared how intimately God knows, loves, and cares for His own. Read it for yourself. You will be blessed. You will. Take my word for it. Now it's time to say so long for now. Take care. Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I will see you next time. Lord willing. Amen. ....More later. 

No comments: