Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The late Andre Crouch's great song, "Through it all, through it all, I've learned to trust in Jesus, I've learned to trust in God. Through it all, through it all, I've learned to depend upon His Word."

Last Saturday.
I suppose Sonny and Cher's big hit from 1967 made a point, "The Beat Goes On." Another day has dawned and we wake up to all that it holds for us. This one happens to be cataloged as Tuesday, March 28, 2017. The beat does go on, but I'm aware that it is only by the grace and provision of God. Not in some morbid or fatalistic way, but, it's a realistic view based on trust and confidence in our God. This is true, by the way, even when I'm so distracted by all that is happening, I fail to fully appreciate His abiding presence. I had many hours of conversation with mom last Saturday. She was remembering a whole lot of history. She struggles to make sense of her situation. I told her that whatever this life brings, regardless of how challenging, it is working for our good. This is what God has given to us, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) She is one of God's own, therefore, this verse is for her, for me, and for every other person saved by the power of God. I couldn't delineate the actual good things that are being achieved by the very challenging health issues she is dealing with. But, I do know that verse is true, therefore, we know that good is being accomplished. For her. Some people misread that verse and their reading comes out giving the impression that it's all good things. Nope. That's not even close. All things. Good, bad, indifferent, no matter what, they work for good to my mom who loves God and she is called according to His purpose. Amen

On my journey early Saturday morning over to Louisiana to visit mom and dad I had to deal with the traffic that showed up to run alongside me, run over me, hold me up, or a lot of other things to mess with my mind. There's a long stretch that is two lanes only, except for a few spots where an additional lane has been added so folks can pass the slower traffic. When I hit the long stretch of two lane I saw a pretty sad sight up ahead. It was a convoy following one of those super sized 18 wheelers headed to the big box store in Jasper, Texas, about an hour away. The speed limit is 75 but riding behind that truck put me at about 60 or less when the big truck went up a hill. Finally, we came upon one of those additional passing lane places. Thank the Lord! There was only one problem. The first car behind the truck must get into the other lane and speed up. She did. But not fast enough. She was essentially riding beside the big truck at about the same speed. The convoy was behind her. We all let out a collective sigh when the lane ended and we all had to get back into line behind the big truck. I called the wife and told her what had happened. I think she may have said, "Bless her heart." Okay. That was a nice sentiment, but, that one didn't come to me when I was thinking about her passing approach. Just so you know, I did reach a spot and I passed them all. How fast? That information is currently unavailable, but, I will tell you my old pickup shuddered a little as we did our slingshot. (Hint: You learn a lot by watching NASCAR.)

Settle down. Don't be forming a posse to come and serve me a notice of citizen's arrest. I'm sure I may have embellished that account just a tad. Well, maybe a smidgen. Or, would you believe a teeny tiny bit? I didn't even mention the rain storm and bad visibility, but, they didn't seem to add anything to my story. I had better move on before my phone lights up with messages from 'you know who'. I think my little experience is covered under the covenant that says, "What happens on US Route 190 stays on Route 190." What? You never heard of that one? All I can say is you need to get out more. I feel compelled to confess something. I sometimes come up behind a person on the roadway and I can't help but think, "My oh my, isn't it just my luck to end up behind someone observing all the traffic signs?" If it helps any, I typically feel bad after thinking something like that. Whew! Being me really tires me out. I guess I had better quit for today so I can spend some time in reflection or deflection, I forget which one. Take care. Enjoy the rest of your day. May God bless each one is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: