Thursday, March 23, 2017

God speaking: Isaiah 49:15, "Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you."

Today. Thursday. March 23, 2017. I will admit there are days when I would like to just pull the covers over my head and try to block out all the stresses that each day brings. But, like many of you, my frame and how I am put together does not permit that choice. I used that word frame intentionally because it is the way God describes His knowledge of His own. In Psalm 103:14, we read, "For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust." The Hebrew word for frame reflects God's intimate understanding of each of us as a person, an individual. It has to do with knowing us even before our conception, knowing us from the inside out, with nothing hidden. He also knows our weaknesses and He is fully aware that we are dust, connecting us to our created ancestor Adam. My take away from these truths is how we can come out from underneath the covers because God knows, God cares, and God will be with us, every step of the way, with every breath we take, and He will never leave or forsake us. Because of this being our reality in Christ, we can keep on keeping on. (Deuteronomy 31:6, Romans Chapter 8, and Hebrews 13:5) I suppose I needed to remind myself of these truths today. Maybe you didn't need it. Keep it handy because experience tells me, you will, sooner or later. 

I have great confidence in that first paragraph. Because it is so well written? Not even close. Any time I can encourage us all with a word from the Lord, I know He can use it to speak to us all. I may have a different need than you, but, we all have needs, and He has chosen to minister to our needs through His Word. Changing the subject, I think the current hearings going on in our nation's capitol to be quite revealing. I've caught bits and pieces of these hearings from time to time. One exchange in the questioning of the nominated supreme court justice caught my attention. Here you have a man with an impeccable background of integrity and professionalism in the conduct of his life as a man and as a judge. He is being needled by a senator about the morality of some of his decisions made in his rulings as a judge. Morality. The person doing the needling is a former comedian who appeared on Saturday Night Live for several years. His comedy was considered to be anything other than examples of morality. The books he has written have been called profane. Yet, he somehow got himself elected and now he sits in judgment on someone whose honorable life makes this particular senator's questions a mockery of the process. Hey. I caught that in a drive by hearing. You may see it differently. That's okay too. 

I'm not saying he isn't entitled to be on the panel or to ask his questions. But, at the same time, I can see the disconnect in the forth and back I heard, and, that's how I chose to evaluate what was being said. This senator's supporting colleagues call his former life as being that of an actor, and what he did was edgy humor, therefore, they give him a pass. Given what they claim to stand for, that is a huge pass, my friend, huge indeed! At the same time, they will go to the mat over something that was said about a potential nominee all the way back to his early college days. Or earlier. (Remember them making a big deal out of things that happened when Mitt Romney was in elementary school?) Those in power in Washington often wonder out loud why it is that people have such a low opinion of them. Really? One senator opened his questioning time by using quotes from the opposing side which actually were identical to their reasoning on why this man should be confirmed. Same train of thought. But, it was their person they were promotion. Exact quotes. They said it. It's a part of the official record. But, now, things are different. What's the difference? Nothing but where they are sitting at the table. So much for principled beliefs. Those who ask why people have so little respect, well, they need only tune into this hearing. There it is. And, if you are seeing impaired, or you can't hear well, I can tell you this. Take a deep breath because it stinks to the high heavens. I smelled it again just writing about it. For today, I think we need to get back on a positive track. Here's how: Go back and re-read the first paragraph. I'm going to do the same. May God bless. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: