Thursday, March 2, 2017

Life consists of: Lessons Learned

Do you ever wake up with a song on your mind? I do. Often. Very often. Yesterday I came into work with one on my mind. It was a Bluegrass tune entitled "Lessons Learned" by Ronnie Reno and his band. That song talks about life and the things learned while on our sojourn and those we learn from above. I called it up on YouTube and listened to it several times. I'm not sure why I had that song on my mind but I wouldn't doubt that it had something to say to me, perhaps about my life. Or, maybe, I just needed to hear a little of those nasal harmonies to get my day started. At any rate, that's the way I typically roll, and today I'm at it again, on this Thursday, March 2, 2017. I may have thought of that song because I was a little groggy from staying up to watch the Presidential address to the Congress. I thought it was a most excellent speech. I thought he reflected what we think of when we use the word 'presidential'. Almost Reaganesque. Sure, many of the Democratic officials had swollen hands from sitting on them throughout the presentation. When the Republicans did the same thing when President Obama spoke, they were called disrespectful racists. The Democrats claim they stayed seated based on principle and to honor their sense of integrity. My interpretation: Take that snake oil somewhere else, we are not buying it!

It took a while for me to get to sleep. Too stirred up, I guess. Not because I think he is going to be able to get everything he talked about done, but, our nation needs a new direction and we need change. Any at all will be an improvement over the entrenchment of the professional ruling class. His people say he is focused like a laser beam on trying to get done what he promised in the campaign. He had better get as much done as quickly as he can because the behemoths of cronyism and bureaucracy are already working in tandem to defeat any and all change. Even his own party? You better believe it! They talk a lot about change. They even get themselves reelected based on promising they will work to change our broken system. Then, they return to their plush environs where they enjoy what the folks back home used to call, 'the life of Riley', at taxpayer expense. It is very difficult to maintain respect for those who operate in this way. This means the new administration must strike while the iron is hot. Because, as we have seen time and time again, it will not always keep its heat. I say go for it. If mistakes are made along the way. Go for it. If some people resign. Go for it. If it isn't pretty. Go for it. Quickly!

On Wednesday morning, it was interesting to see some of the Facebook posters as they had done their own running commentary during his speech. Some mocked those who failed to show respect for the office of the president. They lauded most of what he had to say. There were others who also gave their running assessment. They do not like President Trump. That's right. And, yes, they are friends with me on Facebook. Some of them are in my family. At any rate, it's interesting to see the division that exists within our national family regarding the challenges that we face going forward. The other day a noted liberal commentator passed away. He was known for being a true gentleman. He was gracious and respectful to those he disagreed with. He was dead for just a few hours before the hate began to flow. Not from conservatives. The hate came from influential liberal sources that called him spineless and ineffective because of his genuine decency. In other words, he was not mean-spirited enough to suit their purposes. I mention that only because it speaks to those on both sides whose views are undergirded by bitterness and hatred. Since I climbed up on the box today, let me finish with the words of our Lord and Savior, "You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:43-48) Enough said. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: