Wednesday, March 22, 2017

“The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Work is the key to success, and hard work can help you accomplish anything.” – Vince Lombardi

Good morning and welcome to today's fireside chat. I'm not sure if any of my readers are old enough to remember those radio chats done by President Roosevelt during WW2. I believe President Carter attempted a version of the same, wearing a sweater, but very few cared to hear what he had to say. (That was my interpretation.) It is good to be with you once again and this episode comes to you on this Wednesday, March 22, 2017. Today I'm thinking about the subject of what it means to have a productive work ethic. I am out and about quite often dealing with all kinds of businesses, and, I do think one of the resounding and recurrent themes I hear about has to do with the types of younger individuals coming into the workforce and their lack of a solid work ethic. It is a widespread if not universal concern on the part of those attempting to run enterprises of all sizes. I was thinking about an example of someone who has a demonstrated commitment to work and my wife of nearly 53 years came to mind. She is self-motivated, determined, and for the most part, tireless. Where did that come from? I thought about her when I saw the photo of a little girl picking cotton. My wife, as a little girl, picked cotton alongside the rest of her family. Her sister has the same work ethic. That's a photo of them sitting side by side juxtaposed to the young cotton picking girl. I'll not lecture regarding where we lost our grip as a people on this strong work ethic. I do know that it has always helped define the greatness of our nation. However, I will say this. The lack of a commitment to work is real. It is generational. And, it is a serious issue. Maybe that's why so many are considering robotics. Think about it. I know I do.

One of the things I do each week in preparing to teach my lesson on Sunday morning is to listen to audio sermons dealing with the text I will be sharing. I do enjoy hearing from those who take very seriously their role in "rightly dividing the word of truth". (2nd Timothy 2:15) I have noticed some troubling trends in my listening activity over the past several years. Many present their hot button issues, conclusions, viewpoints, or a particular point they want to make instead of letting God speak through the text itself. That may seem like a fine line of distinction, but, it really isn't. I have no problem with any teacher making real world applications from the truths taught from the Scriptures. However, it may be just me, but, I do have trouble with anyone who imposes their viewpoints, no matter how well intended, on thus says the Word of the Lord in order to make their outline work. That may sound like a technicality but it really isn't. When I see this happening, I usually hit the road, turn it off, and find another one to listen to. It is my belief that people today are just like people since the beginning in their need to hear from the Lord God Almighty. Here's how the Apostle Paul challenged his young protege Timothy with these words, " ...preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction." (2nd Timothy 4:2)
Some might be wondering who put me in charge to evaluate in this manner. Hey. I'm just sharing some of my thoughts on the subject. I just think it's somewhat of a troublesome pattern when those who are in positions of influence operate in that way. Their opinions matter, my opinions matter, your opinions matter, but all of that is not even a consideration when it comes to allowing God to speak. There is a warning from the Apostle Paul when he prophetically said the day would come when the stuff coming from the pulpit will be entertaining to those listening, but it will not be from God. (2 Timothy 4:4) Okay. I don't know exactly how I got on that but it's what I was dwelling on this morning and that's how it ended up on the page. Sometimes this is how it works. The good news is that there are still many devoted servants who remain committed to being a vessel to bring the desperately needed water of life to a lost and dying world. I'll leave it there. For now. I do hope you will have a most rewarding day and may our Great God add His blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: