Monday, March 27, 2017

Blessed beyond measure with the family I became a member of when I married.

Remembering Mom Rawles
Good morning out there wherever you happen to be situated on that expansive, all-inclusive, world wide web superhighway. You didn't sign up to be on that highway? Sorry. I think everyone gets to be on it these days, by default. The old song said, "There's an all-seeing eye watching you." It was referencing our Creator God. I think an attempt to duplicate that ability might be a part of this technological marvel where we can be found and identified, literally, pretty much wherever we happen to be on the globe. That might be a little over the top, but, not much. At any rate, I do bid you welcome to today, Monday, March 27, 2017. Yesterday would have been my mother-in-law's 100th birthday. She left this world to enter her eternal bliss back in 1998. She was a part of my interconnected family for nearly 35 years. She was a remarkable woman. Simple. Unassuming. A pastor's wife. A prolific writer of letters, quips, and poems. A master at sewing. A musician and lover of Gospel songs. A devoted believer in her God. A housewife, and simple but interesting cook who always took care of her family. She had a quirky sense of humor and she did like a good laugh. Those of us fortunate enough to be in her sphere had no qualms at all in associating her with the spiritual giant of a woman described in Proverbs 31. Her children have continued to mirror many of her traits. They have carried on the legacy she laid out before them. I come away thinking how blessed I am to have been loved, mothered, and prayed for by her. May God bless her memory as we think about her impact on all our lives. Amen.

When you get our age, there's value in knowing what you like. And, what you don't. We are popcorn eaters. From way back. Not the microwave stuff. Not the flavored junk. Natural. A number of years ago my gastroenterologist advised me to stop eating popcorn because of her fear it might lead to diverticulitis. No more popcorn! Several years later I confronted her with an article I had read that said researchers had discovered that popcorn was not the threat they had previously thought. She casually said, "Yeah, that's right. You can eat all of it that you want." I am glad they didn't have an exit window on that floor. I probably would have busted through it and landed two stories down on the ground. I could hear Happy Days are Here Again playing in my mind. You remember that one. No? That's the one they played when Prohibition officially ended. I think. At any rate, I was happy. I am the official corn popper in our house and I use an old worn out pressure cooker on the stovetop. I think we mostly use the best stuff that has Orville Redenbacher's name on it. Recently, we began to run low on the seasoning salt we use. The wife searched all around for it but couldn't find it. She bought several that were supposed to be similar. They weren't. We are serious about our popcorn. She sent me a picture. I found the company and special ordered four bottles. She asked why four. I told her the shipping cost was fixed and it was nearly as much as the products, therefore, we now have some extra in reserve. That should be about a six year supply. Now everything is right with the world. She chunked the other stuff. Good girl. Thank You, Lord. Amen


What's that? You hope that was a joke? I report, you decide, but always remember there are things that are no laughing matter to yours truly, and, popcorn happens to be one of them. I can remember sharing a dishpan of the fluffy kernels with my Granny Mac. She too was serious about her popcorn. You know. It was something to enjoy together as we watched Sid Caesar's 'Your Show of Shows'. Did I hear someone say that explains a lot? Maybe you could let me know because it might clear up some things for me. However, I'm sure those sweet memories are a part of the program as well. Okay, enough of that. I did visit mom on Saturday. She is making it but with much distress and difficulty. The wife stayed to help out some. I pray that God will work His will according to His love, mercy, and grace. These series of events have also taken a toll on dad, her primary caretaker. I ask for your continued prayers. I could sure eat a dishpan of popcorn right now. Something must have made me think of it. I do hope you have a most wonderful day and may our Great God add His blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: