Wednesday, August 10, 2016

“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!” ― Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Hello out there in winter wonderland. I thought that might make someone, somewhere, feel a wee bit cooler, just thinking about it. I mentioned it primarily on this Wednesday, August 10, 2016, because we did receive our first for the upcoming season invite for Santa and Mrs. Claus. It's a two-day photo making session and we love working with folks we have worked with in the past. We have been doing this particular huge event since 2010. While we occasionally add an event here and there, but our appearances are almost all repeat venues where we are invited back. We very much count it a privilege and honor to be asked to come back. You know what I'm talking about. It's good to be wanted. That is, unless, it has something to do with those posters they put up at the post office. I don't even know if they still do that. I'm pretty sure the ten 'most wanted' are out on the web. Somewhere. I have heard some pretty crazy stories about bad Santas. It must be seriously bad when they talk about one Santa who snapped at the children and generally was ill-tempered. You've got to be kidding. Surely not! Talk about being in the wrong kind of business. Maybe he didn't show up the day they covered jolly.

No. I have not watched those movies that depict bad Santas. I've seen some of the commercials for them and they don't appeal to me. I do get asked about them from time to time. They are just not my cup of tea, coffee, or any other beverage. I've tried to remember if I ever visited Santa as a kid. I don't think I did. We lived in a rural area so there probably wasn't too many available. I can't remember any photos of any of us kids sitting with the jolly old elf. My mom did go out of her way to make Santa a part of our festivities. First and foremost was our understanding about the Christ child's birth. We were very well versed on what the Bible teaches about God sending His Son to our world to offer salvation to each of us. That was always a clear teaching in our home. We also had Santa. He would show up while we were sleeping on Christmas eve. When we came into the room where the tree was all lit up the next morning, what a sight to behold! The toys were all arranged by name. Often there were clothes too. My mom's version of Santa had a very practical side as well. A widow trying to work, feed, and clothe six children was a daunting task. Santa must have known that since he would include shirts, jeans, and socks when he visited our place. I know some folks think children shouldn't be led to believe in Santa Claus. I respect that. In my own personal experience, I have not perceived any harm from participating in this make believe character.

Speaking of fantasy land, I move from the make believe world to the present horror show playing 24x7 on our TV sets. I'm talking about the 2016 presidential election campaign. Just when one thinks it can't get any more insane, well, it does. It's like seeing a horrible accident in progress. You don't want to look but you can't turn away. I think they have moved from what was once called gutter politics to the sewer. I can hear my grandparents, "Don't that just beat all you've ever seen or heard?" They would no doubt pitch a hissy fit if they were seeing what we are seeing. That's right. Country folks pitch fits, they don't throw them. Looking at the choices we have might elicit a comment like this, "Both of them are lower than a snake crawling in a wagon rut." Or, maybe this one, "Our country is about as lost as last year's Easter egg." The people we grew up around were people of faith. Therefore, they would always tell us not to look to anyone other than God if you want to be on solid ground. I might even have heard Granny Mac humming this tune, "How firm a foundation you saints of the Lord, is laid for your faith in his excellent Word! What more can he say than to you he has said, to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?" (The hymn, How Firm a Foundation is attributed to a little-known author, George Keith, and it dates back to the 1870's.) We sang that song many times when we would meet together to encourage one another in the Lord. I hope maybe it has encouraged us all today. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: