Friday, August 12, 2016

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

I remember the words of Richard Nixon in his famous 'last speech' after losing his bid to be governor of California in 1962. He famously uttered these words, "you don't have Nixon to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference." I thought about that for a reason on this Friday, August 12, 2016. Beginning today I will be on vacation and away from my workplace and Lord willing I will be out of sight and out of mind until Monday, August 22. Okay. I am well aware the people I work with do not kick me around, but, the fact that I will be gone did cause me to remember his words. Keep in mind, that because of my annual physical this morning, I am not only operating without a net but also without my normal five cups of Community. Maybe it would sound better if I said three cups. Make that three cups I'm not having. Thank you. In the case of Nixon, we do know that it was not his last press conference since he did go on to be elected President for two terms, although, given his track record, in retrospect, it might have been better for our country had that been his last time to run for public office. Talking about last runs, we are devoted fans of the PBS Masterpiece Theater series. There are literally dozens of different series. Last Sunday evening we watched the first episode of the final season of the series 'Lewis', the former sergeant to Chief Inspector Morse, and it dealt with Robby Lewis, retired Chief Inspector, back on duty as a consultant. He is invigorated to be working again. However, the division has a new boss. The new boss wonders out loud about having now consultant Lewis occupying a space that might be filled by an up and coming younger police officer. That struck home with me as I too have thoughts about my job, my age, and my future. I suppose those thoughts come with the rarefied air found on the mountain called Threescore and Ten. (By God's grace I am scheduled to be on top of that one, come next Tuesday.)

I used that 'best-is-yet-to-come' graphic in the first paragraph because it is 100% the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth for anyone who is a child of God. I've been on that journey to my ultimate destination, the one called my heavenly home, since, back in January of 1964, when I put my faith and trust in God's provision, His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. All this talk about age, troubles, decisions, challenges, issues and other realities that make up my sojourn here on the planet often clouds my vision of where I am really headed. I don't know when I will get there. I do know I am going there. I am looking forward to whatever time I have left here, but, I have an even greater expectation of making it to my final destination. Talking about this great day reminds me of the chorus from a quartet song, written by the late, great Stuart Hamblin, 'Your First Day in Heaven', Chorus: "Well it's a great, great morning Your first day in Heaven When you stroll down the golden avenue. There are mansions left and right And you're thrilled at every sight And the saints are always smiling saying "How do you do?" Oh it's a great, great morning Your first day in Heaven When you realize your worrying days are through. You'll be glad you were not idle Took time to read your bible It's a great morning for you."

We will be doing some traveling over the next several days. We are not headed for one of those packaged vacation trips. We hope to visit some family we have not seen in a while and we plan to visit different attractions as we decide to do so. That would be correct. Thanks. Yes. We will be, to a certain extent, making it up as we go. What's that? You think that might be the story of my life. Good read. In fact, closer than you might think. I know some of you have been praying for my doctor. I know he appreciates your concern as he seeks to interact with yours truly. He's several years younger than our youngest but both the wife and I think he's one of the best we've ever had. That doesn't mean I will not have my say. That's right. I am still bothered by all those TV ads that promise lower blood sugar numbers. He listens okay but if I am not mistaken when I finish asking, he typically gives a slight shrug of his shoulders. I will see what he says this time. I will let you know. I'm not sure if I will show up on this page each day while on vacation, but, I do intend to stay in touch. Some. I do hope you have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Enjoy. See you next time, and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: