Tuesday, May 19, 2015

"The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to." ~ Carl Sandburg

It's Tuesday, May 19, 2015, and I'm just sitting here allowing my fingers to do their thing. If I had not taken that typing class back in high school, well, it's doubtful that I would be able to get this many words on the electronic page each day. A couple of years ago I took an online typing test and I think I could still do 70 words per minute with an acceptable error rate. Now you know. Speed and the quality of the information produced do not always go hand and hand. Here's the deal. The wife left me again last Thursday morning. She went to Louisiana for our nephew's high school graduation and a visit with family. When I came home Thursday evening she was gone. Same on Friday. When I woke up on Saturday morning she was gone. Same on Sunday. She knows I am not a one man band. The good news is that she did return on Sunday afternoon. I had one fellow who doesn't know me well enough to ask but he did anyway. Who watches you when she is not there? Hello? I asked him if he thought I was like the professional baseball guy who has to have someone with him all the time to make sure he keeps himself in line. He said that he thought that would be a good idea for me too. I tell you. The stuff I have to deal with. No wonder I have such a rough time, and a lonely one when you know who is gone.

Another one of your Home Alone stories? I should do a series and maybe even have it made into a movie. What? It's been done? Yeah. I was just pulling your leg. Obviously I wasn't actually pulling your leg. It's one of those phrases that began to be used back in the 1880's. It came to mean that you must be joking, teasing, or making something up. While there are many different theories concerning how this became a common saying, none of them hold up to close scrutiny. Therefore, it remains in the 'we can't be sure' category.  (One was particularly gruesome. It came from London where they said people used to pull the legs of those being hanged to help them die more quickly.) Yikes! An actual article from a newspaper in Ohio from 1881 had this quote: "It is now the correct thing to say that a man who has been telling you preposterous lies has been ‘pulling your leg.’" Many believe this indicates how that it had began to be used and the paper wanted to explain its meaning. I suppose I could have substituted 'jerking your chain', or the proverbial 'NOT!', or maybe the 'just kidding'. But then I would have had to research them and we would still be here talking about something no one cares about. Oh well. (I'll check that one out for you later.)

Based on the state of my recent blogs you think perhaps the wife should reconsider leaving me home all alone? I'll share that point of view with her but I doubt that she wants to become connected to how lame some of my stuff can be at times. It actually comes with the territory and I am in good company. The famous western book author Louis L'Amour was actually rejected 200 times before Bantam accepted and published his first novel. They went on to sell 330 million of his books. One of my all time favorites Agatha Christie went through five years of rejections before landing her first book deal. Her works are believed to have garnered in excess of $2 billion worldwide. As a teen I read Zane Gray. He too was a western novel writer. After becoming a celebrated author, he shared with the world the advice given to him by one major publishing company, "You have no business being a writer and should give up." I'm glad he didn't. There are plenty of others that had the same experience. I've said all of that to say this. Don't expect too much when you land on my blog each day. I think they call that setting low expectations. That should make it easier for me. Or, I could just might be pulling your leg again. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: