Friday, May 29, 2015

"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering." Saint Augustine

Hello folks and welcome. It's Friday, June 29, 2015, and I bring you greetings from my home away from home, here at the ole blogger ranch. Yesterday morning I saw something when I arrived here at the work place that I had not seen in a while. It was that heavenly chorus of lights shining ever so brightly. I'm located in somewhat of an off-the-beaten-path rural area and typically the stars are breathtaking. That is, when they can be seen. We've got more rain in our forecast today with some potential for more associated problems, but, yesterday morning I did enjoy the absence of clouds as I walked around with my head looking upward. Just think about those stars. "Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also." (Genesis 1:16); "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,..." (Psalm 8:3); "He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name." (Psalm 147:4); and perhaps the most important reference to the guiding star, "...saying, 'Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.'" (Matthew 2:2) That's a little biblical starology to get our day started. And, here's what the psalmist encouraged: "Praise Him, sun and moon; Praise Him, all you stars of light!" (Psalm 148:3) Amen and Amen


I read the arrest report of a fellow who choked down his fiancee. That wasn't very nice. Her crime? It was that recent Sunday where the Indianapolis 500 Indy Car race was on along with the NASCAR Coca Cola 600 later that same day. At the end of the day, and after a long day of some serious imbibing of alcoholic beverages, they became argumentative and she made the comment that she thought the Indy car racing was better and more exciting. That was enough to elicit his criminal behavior. I suppose she at least found out what was really important to him before they married. It's no joking matter. Folks take their particular sports interests way too seriously. It can be dangerous to be at some competitive events to cheer for your team. The NASCAR idiot fellow looked the stereotype, therefore, the news media played it up for all it's worth. He may have even had missing teeth but he had his mouth closed so it wasn't clear. What about all the fights in sports bars? What about the brawling between parents at a little league game? What about torching cars and destroying property in college towns after a great victory? It's shameful. Sad and shameful. 


Thanks to everyone who inquired about our safety and well being during these past couple of weeks filled with stormy weather. It's good to know that folks care. I would do a recap of my daily visits this week but that would no doubt be an exercise in futility as well as like a ride in one of those bumper cars at the fair. I can give you one unifying theme that has been fundamental to all of my blogs. It is the need I have, you have, that we all have to seek God in all our ways every minute of every day. It's like the old preacher man saying that we all are fellow strugglers in this life. I know it's popular to trumpet victory and to say we are victors but at the same time I think it is also healthy to acknowledge that we do constantly wrestle with and do battle in dealing with the vicissitudes of life, or at least I do. The good news? Our Savior has told us that He has overcome all on our behalf. (Gospel of John, Chapter 16, Verse 33) What a great thought to finish off our week. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I will do my best, with God's help of course, to see you next time. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: