Wednesday, May 27, 2015

“I can remember much forgetfulness.” ― Hart Crane, (1899-1932), American Poet

Good Wednesday morning to one and all on this May 27, 2015. While I was on my three day vacation I came up with some wonderful ideas to share with those who read my blog. They were good ones. But, alas, they have gone to that place where they do such a wonderful job of hiding. I know. I should have jotted them down. Why? Surely I wouldn't forget them so quickly, especially if they were good ones. Right? Maybe it's just that I have so much stuff percolating at the same time. That sounds pretty good so I think I will adopt that one as my story and will do my best to stick to it. Sure. It's aggravating to not have the same level of instant recall that has helped over the years to distinguish my profile, but, it, unfortunately, does come with the territory. I am not raising any white flags and I am not throwing in any towels. I am just sharing the status of my remembering ability. The internet does help. I've learned not to fret over something if I can quickly find it by searching for it. Sometimes the wife hits me with one of those 'what was that program we watched many years ago?' or some other type of trivia that may have landed in a file now marked classified. I typically jump up and walk over to the little laptop, get the answer, announce it, and all is again right with the world. It does make one wonder how I could have files that I created that are not available for me to access. That, my friend, is the question of the day.

My old commute route into Houston. Taken yesterday.
I did drive through some water that was over the road yesterday. I typically try not to do that but I was convinced it wasn't that deep. My eldest son gave me a little lecture about my little flivver of a car going through water. (I think maybe this is a sign of the times as indicated in my first paragraph.) I did try to be as careful as I could. It was pretty scary and I did see where some trees were down. I will tell you this. There are some very sad stories out there with all of these storms. Some have lost their lives. Others are still missing. The devastation has been dramatic. Some dear friends of ours were subjected to a small tornado that touched down near our area and it did a number on their yard full of trees. One of the big ones hit their garage. I'm thankful they came through okay but now they have a big repair project and clean up. This kind of stuff cannot help but remind the wife and I of Hurricane Ike and the impact it made on our lives. We pray for God's provision for all those who are suffering as a result of these weather events. May God help is my prayer. Amen.

Hornbeck, Louisiana Post Office.
The storms have kept everyone kind of on the edge of our seats, but, they are a part of this sojourn. The wife and I saw something on a local live Houston weather tracking map that we had never expected to see. Hornbeck. That's right. Hornbeck, Louisiana. That's the little hamlet of a town where I grew up. Sometimes you see Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans, but Hornbeck? It was one of those tight shots showing the projected path of Monday night's serious thunder storms. My wife happened to be talking to her sister over in Louisiana when Hornbeck showed up. We all had a good laugh because there's less than 500 people counted as citizens of that little place. It reminded me of when I first came to Houston. One of the supervisors had been transferred in from the Shreveport office. They introduced me and told him that I was a fellow Louisianian. They then told him I was from Hornbeck. He immediately said, "Hornbeck, what's that? A disease?" My oh my, it's no wonder I have a complex. I'm not sure what kind I have but I do remember living in an apartment complex back in the 1970's. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: