Thursday, May 21, 2015

Gotcha Journalism defined, according to Wikipedia: "Gotcha journalism is a pejorative term used by media critics to describe interviewing methods that appear designed to entrap interviewees into making statements that are damaging or discreditable to their cause, character, integrity, or reputation."

Good morning to one and all as we attempt to get our day cranked up here at the ole blogger ranch. I'm glad we have this time to spend together on this Thursday, May 21, 2015. You have probably gathered by now that I am an unofficial un-appointed observer of all things political. One of the current big gotcha's going around involves questioning of the potential republican presidential nominees using a concept of looking at past events through the lens of current knowledge. The big one has to do with us sending troops into Iraq. They phrase the question like this: "If you knew then what you know now would you have started the Iraq war like President George W. Bush did?" That's about as unbelievably lame as it gets for a question. If you knew then what you know now. First of all for the most part this question presumes that everyone is clear on how the actions taken by President Bush back then were completely wrong. So, what we have is a boatload of revisionist history since immediately following 9-11, the security apparatus of our nation along with dozens of other nations around the world agreed with this being the appropriate action to take. And it was voted on in the Congress and overwhelmingly approved. Think about it. Think about your own life and the decisions you have made. If you knew then what you know now. Sure, I would have bought that stock for $1 that is currently trading at over $500 per share. See what I mean? By the way, they could well use this same approach in asking about any and all actions taken by the current administration over the past seven years, based on that same rationale, if one knew then what we know now would we have _______ (fill in the blank)? Sadly, my view is that far too many folks see and hear these same things but they just shrug and have their ticket punched to get in the line marked lemmings. That may be too harsh but after all is said and done, it's my view from here.

What? You think it's too early for something so heavy? I suppose I do have a head start since I'm working on my third cup of Community. I do believe the current studies indicate that coffee may be good for you. Some reports suggest more is better than less. Don't hold your breath because this beverage has been on a seesaw for as long as I have been around. It's bad. No. It's very bad. Wait a minute. It might be okay. No. It might even be good. In moderation of course. Hold on. It might even be good if you have several cups. Are you dizzy yet? You get the idea that I most likely have not adjusted my intake based on all these reports? You my friend are showing that you too can be an astute observer. There are some things in life you just have to make up your mind about. Coffee is one of them. To be or not to be is not even a question but it did cause me one day to say to myself, 'Self, why are you always looking for that big tub on special?' That was many many years ago when I concluded enough is enough. From that time forward, its been Community and only Community. Why? Because life is short and as best I can remember I was unanimous in my own decision. Now you know, again, for the first time.

I now have Community here at the ole blogger ranch. I have Community at my home place. It took some convincing but we now use Community at the Church where we attend. And, I am proud to say they always consult with me when they go to fetch more. You know. To make sure it's the correct blend. No. I do not get any commissions from the Community Coffee Company. And, you can enjoy whatever you like, even one of those big tubs. It's one of those rights guaranteed in our Constitution. And, it's historical. You do remember the Boston coffee party. Right? You thought it was the Boston tea party? That's how your books read. Right? It's likely because a bunch of East Coast Yankees wrote your history books. You do know that I am very much out of control in terms of fooling around but when it comes to something as important as coffee I believe it's critical that we get our facts straight. I'll let you think about that one while you sip your Community. Take care, enjoy, and may our Great God add His blessings to the day that He has given to us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: