Thursday, May 7, 2015

"A baby is God's opinion that life should go on." ~ Carl Sandburg

If you landed on this particular blog by mistake I believe the escape key will get you back to where you came from. Just trying to be helpful on this Thursday, May 7, 2015. You can be for or against unions all you want to be, but, you cannot doubt the power of those that represent federal employees. The lady who previously headed up the Drug Enforcement Agency testified that she did not have the authority to fire agents who were involved in egregious behavior. She said they were protected by the union they belonged to. What had they done? In South America they had participated in sex parties with prostitutes provided by the drug cartels. Yes. She had to resign or in her case retire. It was a huge embarrassment to the current administration. I wonder what the real issue was? Is it because she told the truth about her hands being tied? Or, does this reflect the current state of our government in terms of how employees are dealt with, regardless of the situation they are found to be involved in? The current Secret Service Director recently talked about the limitations he had in disciplining agents who had broken the rules of conduct. One agent had driven drunk and crashed through a gate at the White House. Unions may play an important role in some areas of our economic structure. I remember as a young worker I joined the union to work on the construction of a dam. The company decided they no longer needed to pay electricians to do nothing more than to connect the cable of a bulldozer to a portable light plant. They would drag the light plants around so that work could be done at night. A laborer could easily do this job. It had nothing to do with operating the light plant. One night I arrived to find the road blocked by union officials who had shut down the job until the company agreed to restore this duty to union electricians. Even as someone very young this made no sense to me. Take that mentality, put it on steroids, and I think you get an idea of why our government is so messed up. (Yes. It is an opinion piece.) I know folks who I respect and love and they are committed to the union they belong to. I very much believe that folks should have the right to associate in whatever way they choose, or not to do so if that is their persuasion.

Since I have moved into rant mode, let me hit another hot button topic. Black lives matter. Police lives matter. Latino lives matter. Asian lives matter. Girls lives matter. (I will not even comment about the absence of White lives matter, or Boys lives matter.) We have heard this as a mantra over the last several months. Many of those espousing this as a right to life slogan want nothing to do with one that says All lives matter. Those who oppose abortion are not invited to participate in this sudden preoccupation with the sanctity of life that has gripped so many lately. In fact, those who promote this onset appreciation for the value of life often say the lives of the unborn are not comparable. In other words, the unborn life is not really a life so we don't want to hear about them as we attempt to raise the consciousness of how that certain lives matter. I even saw where one celebrity was forced to walk back her comments concerning all lives matter to make sure everyone knew she was on board with abortion. She caught flack for saying the wrong thing. (Political correctness run amok.) I don't know if we are living in bizzaro world but our social fabric today is unraveling as we see huge disconnects in people's vision of baseline morality. This disconnect cannot be missed. That is, if people are paying attention. (Opinion piece number two.)

Thanks. I appreciate the recommendation for me to take a few deep breaths and regain my composure. Just kidding. No wonder my mom worries about the stuff I write about. One of the things I enjoy is hearing someone tell a story they read in my blog. Often they can't remember where they heard it, (and I surely don't tell them), but it does show that occasionally my stuff does have legs. (Whatever that means.) On a lighter note, where I grew up we had Redneck jokes without calling them that or even having a name for them. Just country folks doing what they do. But, as the well known comic says, you might just be one too if.... ~ Your old car has now become a main storage unit. ~ After your divorce you can still call your ex, Cuz. ~ The Roto-Rooter man calls for backup when he visits your house. ~ You were arrested once for how you acquired your girlfriend's roses. ~ You've actually burned your yard instead of mowing it. ~ Your kids have taken a siphon hose to school for show and tell. ~ You carried your fishing pole when the family went to Sea World. ~ You've tried to use your belt buckle as a form of identification. ~ You've used a red rag in place of the gas cap on your vehicle. ~ Your idea of taking a cruise is making a trip to Dairy Queen with the wife. ~ Okay. Maybe one of those will make you smile. If not, don't forget to keep the delete key handy. Until next time may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: