Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Uncle Si: “You don’t want a dog who thinks he’s too fancy for the work you want him to do. Hey, you get a dog like that and, next thing you know, you’ll both be getting matching pedicures.” — Season three, episode 26

Made it to Camel Day as the commercial reminds us, (way too often), and I do bid you a 'come on in and make yourself welcome' on this Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Wednesday's are always good days for us since we have our supper at the dining hall of our local fellowship and then have some old fashioned singing and a time of Bible study. The supper is typically a pot luck affair where folks bring whatever it is they choose. There's always lots of eating, laughing, visiting, and a time of enjoying each others' company. When we finish up all our activities we head home in time to catch the reruns of the reruns of the Duck Dynasty series but tonight their brand new season starts. You may not like or watch those Louisiana folks and that's okay. We do because we enjoy it. I read from an interview with Uncle Si and he said the underlying theme of the new episodes will be more focused on the foundation and significance of family. I do know people who just don't like the show. They appreciate the positive influence of these folks but they don't care for the characters and it being an entertainment choice for them. I can see where they are coming from but to me it typically causes me to laugh, to feel a sense of family, and to value our Christian heritage. Thankfully, we have 200 other channels that usually have nothing on worth seeing. But, that's just the way I see it.

I will admit it. Some of the episodes do remind me of growing up in a rural Mayberry style surrounding. We didn't hunt ducks but we did fish and hunt squirrels and deer. Family was the glue that held us together and community was felt as we all tried to learn how to make our way in life. In our little town we had some real characters. I can see them now in my mind's eye. They were hard working, down to earth folks but many of them were also just naturally funny. Some were known for their tall tales and when they waxed on and on you could see the other fellows rolling their eyes. Some were talkers but not doers. Many of those types hung out down at the barber shop. Their main job was to just sit around all day shooting the breeze. The fellow who did the hair cutting had only one eye and the entire group always laughed out loud when he asked the customer how they wanted it cut. Everyone knew that he only had one way of cutting hair regardless of what anyone said. I can tell you one thing. Anytime I ever heard my granddad's name mentioned the whittlers became quiet and respectful. He lived his entire life where his word was his bond. They knew that and it showed. Is thinking about the good old days a form of escapism? Perhaps, but, for me, I kind of enjoy those little occasional trips down memory lane.

I happen to have enjoyed picking black berries, taking them home, and later seeing them floating around in one of Granny Mac's cobblers. I enjoyed a mess of squirrel now and then. That's how we used to say things. And, some of the things we did! The swimming holes we enjoyed. No water testing or chemicals ever added to them. The playing outside. For hours. No one came to check on us every few minutes. We might be gone most of the day. Sure, I'm aware that it wasn't a care free life. There were troubles here and there. We certainly had our fair share if not more of tragedies and grief. However, it was, in my way of looking at it, a good life, a pleasant life, a rewarding life. I can remember how excited we were when we got our first TV set. It took them hours to get the antenna up and everything set in place. When that thing came on and we could see Johnny Mack Brown, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry riding across the screen in our own living room, well, that was something to behold folks, something big, something indeed! Only one clear channel and a couple of snowy ones but we were as happy as a tick on a fat dog. That's right. I've pulled a few of those off too. Oh well, enough of that remembering and reminiscing, because we still have today's business on our plate. Enjoy and may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: