Tuesday, June 10, 2014

“Home is the nicest word there is.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder, American Writer, (1867-1957)

It's Tuesday, June 10, 2014, and I am glad to be able to greet you once again from the ole blogger ranch. It's been a lonely last few days because the wife left me again. She went over to Louisiana last Thursday to visit family and to travel back to her dad's old Church near Baton Rouge where her nephew was preaching. He's been in music ministry for years but recently surrendered to the Lord to be used to proclaim God's Word. The little country Church where they visited brought back many memories to them all. They stayed at the parsonage where the wife and her sister lived as little girls. The wife said when they opened that front door and she walked into that old house, well, it was one of those weak-kneed moments. A lot of history there. I also have some wonderful memories from our many times of visiting there. I actually did the sermon the day her dad retired from active pastoring after 44 years. I wasn't scheduled to do so but the wife's brother came down with a severe throat infection and wasn't able to do it. That was nearly 25 years ago but I remember it well. The text I chose focused on the marks or proofs of a God centered ministry. I do believe, to the best of his ability, that was the desire and the emphasis of my father-in-law's many years in the pulpit. They had a great trip and now it is time for her to bring herself back to the ole blogger ranch. She's due back today, and, I say Amen to that!

Every time I talked to her on the phone she was consistent in her missing of our home place here. Emphatically so. You mean she missed me that much? I'm not so sure about that but I do know the subject of her flowers and plants came up in every conversation. She even gave me very detailed instructions on how to check the soil around her plants to see if they needed to be watered. I thought for a moment I had landed on the garden line call in program. But I understand her concern. She has worked hard to beautify our yard and I'm mostly either oblivious or missing in action when it comes to paying attention to it. I did, without her permission, mow the grass Saturday afternoon. I found out something. I'm not as up to the 95 degree heat as I might have thought. All that practice kicked back in the recliner watching NASCAR on TV, and I do know those fellows are really hot in those cars, but, to no avail, because I nearly fainted a couple of times. Well, maybe not fainted-fainted, but, my electrolyte thingies felt like they were being electrocuted. I was in a hurry. I didn't want to miss the bluegrass, country, and polka music programming on RFDTV that shows up on Saturday evening. That yard took me a half hour longer than I had scheduled but I only missed the first 15 minutes of the first show. I haven't watered any yet because we have gotten some random short rain showers. They have been very short but I am praying they have kept the 'you know what's' alive and well.

I appreciate those who feel some sympathy towards me, being home all alone, and dealing with all these horticultural challenges.  But, trust me, I'm not really a worthy recipient, especially since much of what I write about at times can be slightly exaggerated. She did ask me if I was making it okay all by myself. I forget exactly how I responded but it must have been too strong in telling her I was doing wonderfully well. She said, "Oh really?" I then had to explain that I was missing her but enjoying the peace and quiet. And that didn't come out too well either. I know she knows that I prefer for her to be here and our little dialogue forth and back was mostly a form of joking. Mostly. I do appreciate the one person who asked if I was eating okay. Six days on my own and only one person asked? Now just hold on there pardner before you get the wrong idea, because that's the biggest joke of all as I told them and will tell everyone that I certainly know how to make sure that I don't miss any meals, and I haven't thus far. Granted, it may not be those cooked from scratch home style specials like she whips up, but, no one has expressed concern about me blowing away in a strong wind anytime soon. At any rate, everything should be back to normal when she gets home today. That is, if normal can be called even close to what I do. But that's a different subject for a different day. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: