Thursday, June 12, 2014

Official Study: "Fathers were observed, and named by other family members to be, the persons who most often control the selection of television programs in the U.S." — James Lull, World Families Watch Television.

Good Thursday to each one on this June 12, 2014. We've got Father's Day coming up Sunday and I have been thinking about some of the great challenges we men face in life. While the TV Remote has become a whipping boy for a variety of jokes about how men cling to it, there's actually a lot more to it than that which meets the eye. I need the control because of the battle that rages as we go about our viewing habits. The programmers want you to have to watch the commercials. I am at war with them. I know they have to have sponsors to air the programming, but, sorry, that doesn't count for anything. I'm at war. Therefore, I must hone my skills, be prepared, and be ready to quickly execute a multiple of attacks. My show pauses, I hit the auto change and it goes to an alternate program. If the alternate program is in commercial, (they often coordinate their battle plans), I must hurriedly input manually a switch to the next alternate and must do this quickly before I am overly exposed to the enemy's message. Once I have done this manual switch I now have to key in the original program channel number to get back to where I was before the skirmish broke out. Sometimes I have those who doubt my timing. Often from within my own camp. The worst happens when I am mid stream in the battle and I hear a sweet voice wafting on the rolling tide, "But honey, I wanted to see that commercial." Yet, one must be vigilant and ready at all times. At the end of my time each evening, I am spent and ready for some well earned sleep. I get tired just thinking about it. And, you thought it was some kind of power trip, didn't you?

I was taught in my management days that you typically get what you incentivize. If you tell someone they will be rewarded financially if they hit a certain target, that typically causes them to act in a certain way. We just saw this happen at the Veterans Administration. They were paid bonuses based on hitting performance targets. They self reported how well they hit them. Only one problem. They didn't hit them, they cooked the books. For how long? Based on current reporting, they did this for many years. At nearly every hospital. Another example. The Administration's demonstrated lax approach to those coming into our country illegally acts as an incentive. To add to it they also have made it clear that it would even be more lax where children are involved. Bingo! Now we have a mass influx of little kids coming into our country because that is what our government incentivized. The local TV stations in Mexico are promoting this as well as newspaper ads running in Central America. The result: Now we are having to open up airplane hangars to house all these kids. I don't blame the kids. I do directly blame those setting these types of incentives. And, I have no respect whatsoever for any and all within the VA system who falsified data reflecting they were doing a good job of taking care of our veterans when they were not. Zero. None whatsoever. The biggest insult of all? The federal employee union is so strong it is next to impossible to deal effectively with these wrong doers. I told you. We are in a mess folks. A real doozy of a mess!

I know there's this resounding sense of helplessness that sings out, "Who cares?" They are counting on that response. I for one do care and will be doing my best to work within the corrupt system we have, at least at the ballot box, to do what I can to see some of these policies altered. Again, be clear that I do not blame poor people, who, due to the even more corrupt and crime ridden countries where they live, who desperately attempt to find a way out. Yet, we can only do what we can do, especially with our growing debt that will take literally generations to pay off. Excuse me. I do hope you've had your first cup of Community before this got you all agitated. You do notice I didn't say coffee because Community and coffee in my way of looking at it, are mutually exclusive, and inclusive, as in one and the same. I know. Some of you enjoy that stuff that goes with the jingle, "There's nothing like waking up with ..... in your cup." My advice. Enjoy the jingle but get you some of the real stuff to get your day going. You know I am joking. I am well aware of that part of the bill of rights that gives every individual the right to choose whichever coffee they want to. Don't roll your eyes. Look it up. I'll leave you with one of President Obama's favorite sayings he likes to use after he has stirred up his followers: "Don't get mad. Vote!" I would alter that just a tad and say it like this: "Do get mad. Vote!" That would be my advice to each of you. Have a great day and may God bless each one! Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: