Thursday, June 5, 2014

"'Political Correctness' has gone crazy in this country; I was at the zoo the other day, and you can't even say Mongoose anymore, it's 'special' goose." (copied)

Hello and welcome. It's Thursday, June 5, 2014 and we are still trying to get our arms wrapped around the day. This past Tuesday I did do my early morning visit to the doctor for my annual diabetic related eye examination. Early appointment, therefore, us gathered patients looked like we had been given a pass and were on visitation from the home. All we needed were name tags. The average age had to be in the mid 70's or older and I suppose that's why they provide Teen Vogue and Seventeen magazines for folks to read. Young at heart or wishful thinking, I'm not sure. I noticed they had switched from Fox News to CNN in the waiting room. I didn't get that ballot in the mail. The lady Opthamologist I use is wonderful. The Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) scan is not so wonderful. That's the one where I have to be perfectly still and do my best not to blink. The scan is a technique for obtaining sub-surface images of translucent or opaque materials at a resolution equivalent to a low-power microscope. It is effectively ‘optical ultrasound’, imaging reflections from within tissue to provide cross-sectional images. I'm sure that helps. It actually is a test that provides an assessment of, in my case, diabetic induced macular degeneration. The technician I had this week was the best so far. I told her that I had nightmares about that machine. So she told me to blink blink blink between the time lapse slices. That helped a lot. And, after it was all said and done, thankfully, my eyes were pronounced to be good to go for another year.

It's officially hurricane season and with special meaning for those who are in risk areas which includes us since we are within 60 miles of the coast. When they started using names for major storms in our country, the male dominated weather forecasting community, thought female names would be appropriate. You know. Volatile and unpredictable. Well that went by the wayside in 1953 when they began using male and female names. Now they tell us there's another problem with the naming. Statistically, they find there are more deaths associated with female storms than male storms. They know the name has nothing to do with the force of the storm but it took additional study to determine why more people die in one than the other. It appears that people in general have an idea that a female named storm is not to be taken as seriously as a male named storm. This means they do not prepare as well and they do not pay as close attention to warnings. And, this can be, and has proven to be a matter of life and death. When I first read about female storms killing more people, my knee jerk reaction was, well, that makes sense. Just joking ladies. Bottom line: I see another wave of political correctness brainwashing coming soon.

They actually tested people giving them the name Charley along with dire warnings and then changed it to Eloise with the exact same warnings to see if there were any differences. People were much more inclined to respond to the various warnings from Charley but were significantly less moved by Eloise. See what you did! Now we all are in trouble and will have to be taught another lesson, for our own good, of course. I've always liked the name Ike. The slogan in support of drafting General Dwight Eisenhower to run for President in 1951 was: "I Like Ike" I worked with a fellow named Ike here at our Company for several years. He and I were early morning buddies who enjoyed some Community each day and solved a whole lot of the world's problems before many folks even thought about thinking about getting up. Then came Hurricane Ike. He was a bad one. It took us out out our home for about four months. It was responsible for one of the greatest times of trial in our lives. Today I still respect President Eisenhower and I still like my buddy Ike. Yet, I cannot say that I don't have thoughts about the devastating Ike every time I hear the name. I suppose that's just how we roll. It is folks. It really is. Y'all take care and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: