Wednesday, June 18, 2014

"The first World Cup I remember was in the 1950 when I was 9 or 10 years old. My father was a soccer player, and there was a big party, and when Brazil lost to Uruguay, I saw my father crying." Pele, Retired Brazilian Soccer Player, considered by many to have been the greatest to have ever played the game.

Are you ready for some futbol? It isn't a trick question. It actually reflects how much of the world refers to their favorite on field game. We call it soccer here and based on recent surveys that show it is gaining some in popularity in the US, it's still light years away from beginning to begin to encroach on football, the most popular of all sports in America. It is Wednesday, June 18, 2014 and I thought a little World Cup lingo would be a good way to get the day going. I actually watch some of the matches. I do. I really do. That's right. Intentionally. It's nothing like the type of NFL styled competition we have become accustomed to here in our land, but when you pay attention to how the game is played, well, it is obviously not a game for sissies, I can guarantee that. It's also not the proverbial soccer image at the World Cup level where in the end everyone gets a trophy. The US team has high hopes but they carry with them realistic expectations. We go up against nations where children are actually taught to breathe the game from the crib. Looking at it from a global perspective, for many nations it is the only sport whereas in our great land there's hundreds to choose from. I talk to the NFL self appointed gurus that I am around and they can't stop laughing at the mere mention of the word soccer and sport in the same sentence. They don't mind it being a game for kids but they can't even begin to fathom how after watching 90 minutes that anyone could feel good about a 0-0 score. Maybe we need to have a peace summit and bring these two factions together. (The wife and I, mostly me, watched the match between our USA team and Ghana. Now that was an exciting victory for our team! I may have stood up a time or two. Maybe.)

No. I most likely would not show up to view a match on a giant outdoor screen out on the street with a huge crowd. No. I probably wouldn't rearrange my schedule to watch a match. But, I'm not negative to the point of being dismissive as so many others seem to be. I suppose that's what choosing is all about. Just think. I am a NASCAR fan. Some weekends if the stars all line up and the moon is in the right place, I might just end up watching the truck race on Friday evening, the 2nd tier cars on Saturday, and the Cup cars which are at the top of the food chain on Sunday afternoon. I know some people who don't even want to see NASCAR on a commercial much less to sit and watch a race. Some feel the same way about tennis or golf. I can remember when bowling was on a prime station each week and now it is pretty much confined to the lowest tier channels. You just have to know that liking different sports does not make a person better or worse. I hear how that NASCAR is mostly nothing more than a bunch of ignorant rednecks out there racing cars. The one saying that is the one showing ignorance. The advanced technology and engineering involved in today's NASCAR along with the number of highly skilled technical professionals required to research and develop innovation in racing is staggering. It's not the moonshine bumpkins some people like to portray. Maybe you like watching chess being played. It's okay. Enjoy. Just make sure you don't tell any of your NFL buddies about it.

Today marks the 3rd anniversary of the loss of our brother, Donald. Here's the write up I did for the local paper back home: "Donald Richard Abbott, 62, USMC, Retired, of Webster, TX, was born on Friday, September 3, 1948 in Many, LA. He passed away after a lengthy illness at his residence on Saturday, June 18, 2011. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June 22, 2011, at 10 a.m., at the Hixson Funeral Home Chapel, Leesville, Louisiana, with burial to follow at Beckom Cemetery, Hornbeck, Louisiana. A viewing is planned for one hour prior to the service. After graduation from high school in Hornbeck, Donald proudly served his country as a United States Marine and retired as a Sergeant First Class after twenty years of distinguished service. After retirement he held a number of positions in education as well as in the transportation industry. Donald was predeceased by his dad, Cecil Abbott, and all grandparents, one brother, Jimmy Don Abbott, and one sister, Kayla Jean Moore." It was my privilege to speak at Donald's service and to reflect on his life, his service, and the need for us all to know God while we are here. Lots of memories and lots of water under way too many bridges to count. Have a great one and may God bless us all. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: