Tuesday, June 24, 2014

“The will of God is not something you add to your life. It’s a course you choose. You either line yourself up with the Son of God…or you capitulate to the principle which governs the rest of the world.” ― Elisabeth Elliot, Christian writer and speaker

*****Thanks for your prayers on behalf of my mom. She continues to be hospitalized as they are yet to determine any cause for the internal bleeding. They have put her on a couple of antibiotics and they continue to run tests. They are also reevaluating the blood thinner therapy that she has been on. They've told them they may get to go home in a couple of days and that has been the best news of all. *****

Howdy, howdy to one and all on this Tuesday, June 24, 2014. We can be thankful for the common grace that God has extended to His created human family. If we were in charge, my how it might be different. Right? Mark Twain had this comment: "The rain is famous for falling on the just and unjust alike, but if I had the management of such affairs I would rain softly and sweetly on the just, but if I caught a sample of the unjust out doors I would drown him." In that scenario, I suppose Mr. Twain would get to decide who the just and unjust are and then to meet out his perceived reward or punishment. This common grace extended to us all does have a purpose. The Apostle Paul in that famous sermon preached on Mars Hill in Athens, Greece, had this to say about God's purposes: "God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with mens' hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring.' Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising. Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead." (Acts Chapter 17, Verses 24-31) That's always been a pretty amazing passage if you ask me. What say you?

I read a headline yesterday that had this sentiment: As Iraq Teeters, Washington Plays Blame Game. Now that's what I call a true statement. The blame game has been around for quite a long time. How about all the way back to the first man and the first woman? According to the Scriptures, after eating the forbidden fruit, Eve gave some to Adam. Adam was responsible before God, therefore, God came and confronted him concerning what they had done. What was Adam's response? "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate." (Genesis 3:12) The originator of the first instance of passing the buck or saying "I did it but it's not my fault". Good ole Adam. You would think that by now folks would be sick and tired of being sick and tired with all the blame game antics going on in Washington. Sad to say, it actually works because folks do believe what's being said and who is being blamed, that is, depending upon their own bent. Meanwhile, as the blame game becomes the only game in town, a type of leadership vacuum has permeated world affairs leading to what we are now experiencing: Instability and chaos throughout the world. 

Is this is a great country, or what? The other day I was over in a cowboy-farm-redneck country town. It was noon and the parking lot of this little strip center was running over. Mostly trucks. 90% or more. Many of them jacked up. Some had trailers hooked up. Others had feed bags loaded in the back. There were several cafes and eateries around. I chose the Chinese place called Yang's Kitchen. I went in and ordered me up a carry out of their version of special fried rice. (I know rice is a no no for diabetics but when you are in Rome you do what the rednecks do. Is that the way that goes?) At any rate, they brought me my food and I returned to my vehicle and sat there listening to Costa Rica playing Italy in the World Cup. There I was in that little hole in the road of a town, eating Yang's special fried rice, enjoying the soccer match, as the rain was coming down. This is a great country my friend, despite all of our troubles. I should have asked Mr. Yang  how to say YEEHAW in Mandarin. Maybe not. They did have some of those little angry looking statues keeping an eye on me while I was there. I hope you take the time to enjoy some of the variety of the simple pleasures we are blessed to experience. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: