Friday, June 6, 2014

"I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory! Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." Excerpt from the message to the troops as they embarked on the D-Day invasion, from the Supreme Allied Commander, General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Howdy and welcome. It's going to be a hot time in the old town today. I believe we are working towards a 94 degree target for our afternoon activities. It is Friday, June 6, 2014. Today is a special day as we pause to recognize and remember the many who fell or were wounded as part of the Allied D-Day Invasion at Normandy, France. It's been 70 years since this monumental battle commenced and it became a turning point that helped lead the Allied Forces to victory. While casualty figures are difficult to nail down, needless to say, this event was accompanied by a huge loss of life and it left many of our soldiers with wounds they would carry the rest of their lives. I've recently watched several documentaries where those who participated were giving their firsthand accounts of their landing and the ensuing firefight. It was chilling. These were soldiers that served during the same time that my dad served, and my uncles. They are called the Greatest Generation for a reason and I for one am thankful to God for their willingness to serve and sacrifice on behalf of our freedoms and our way of life. Amen. I highly recommend to your hearing President Ronald Reagan's speech, 30 years ago, commemorating the 40th anniversary of D-Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I


I read a tweet that was pretty funny. That's right. For reasons that are perfectly reasonable, I am on Twitter now. I have probably been called a twit a time or two in my lifetime and I suppose I now have another forum to prove it. (I do take exception to one definition of Twit that I read: 'The kind of person that makes a retarded chimp look smart.') Here's the funny tweet someone posted: "That sermon was so boring I slept through half of it. That's the last time I'm going to preach that one." What's that you say? It didn't really grab you? Well, excuse me. It certainly did grab me and I just happen to think it was pretty funny. This one is sort of funny in a not so funny way: "I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend. Seriously, I'm taking a selfie and you're in the background." Some are even more edgy: "My favorite pastime is roasting marshmallows over the bridges I burn." Some tweets are just downright silly but in a funny sort of way: "Sure, my bologna has a first name, but he's a stickler for manners so he insists we still call him Mr. Bologna." These may not make much sense to you and if they don't, consider yourself to be mostly sane and get on with your day. For the rest of us, well, we'll just have to do our best to muddle our way forward.

I've not said much about the political world lately but if you are not paying attention you are missing some of the most messed up stuff I've witnessed in my role as a self appointed observer. We have the VA scandal with the resignation of the VA Chief, the Press Secretary for the President resigned, the prisoner exchange that the White House thought would be hugely popular has now turned into a pigsty. That's just within the last week folks. The mainstream press pundits are dizzy from spinning each of these in a way that somehow seeks to isolate and insulate the President. I thought they were the ones charged with speaking truth to power. The soldiers that served with the fellow named Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl that we got back mostly have had nothing but extremely negative things to say about him and how he essentially walked off from his post. They also continue to be livid over the deaths of at least 6 men who died looking for this fellow. But, here's how a very senior, very highly respected, (so called), press editor at the Associated Press spun these first hand accounts from our soldiers: "We should not take as absolute legal fact five-year old memories from people who served with Bergdahl under circumstances of great stress." See what I mean? Really? Trashing the soldiers who actually served with this guy? I know. Some of you are not even aware of these things. Well, in my opinion, you should be. My opinion. I could go on and on and on, but it is time to wish you a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. May God bless each one and may God help us as a nation is my prayer. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: