Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"The fact that logic cannot satisfy us awakens an almost insatiable hunger for the irrational." A. N. Wilson, English Writer

Okay. It's only me and I think I've proved myself to be mostly harmless in our daily visits. We flip the calendar and find that we are off and running here on this Tuesday, June 17, 2014. I know I often make a joke about what I consider to be people's irrational fears, like those who go all crazy about Friday the 13th. Yet, I read a piece in the Washington Post last week that had this quotation: "A  lot of people fear Friday the 13th. A 2004 National Geographic article quoted Donald Dossey, founder of the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in North Carolina, as saying up to 21 million people may suffer from the phobia, exhibiting symptoms that can range from mild anxiety to full-out panic attacks. Dossey’s center has estimated that up to $800 million is lost every Friday the 13th. Why? People who believe the day is unlucky don’t want to travel, go to work, go to a store or do much of anything except stay home and avoid black cats and 13th building floors." If that doesn't beat all: Twenty one million people scared with a loss of $800 million dollars. Probably more than that by now. Maybe growing up they watched too many of those movies about Friday the 13th. I've never seen even one of them. I know some of the images from the ads and articles but stuff like that is just not my cup of tea, not my cup of Community, or come to think about it, it's just not my cup, period.

I know many folks enjoy my throw back days when I talk about growing up in a rural town. I have to remind myself that in the recollection of these memories there is always the inclination to report them in the best possible light. It's like the photo artist that air brushes the wrinkles and blemishes out of a portrait. The good old days of summer were pretty brutal when I was a kid. That was before they called it global warming but I can tell you that it could get hot. Hot, humid, and sticky, so much so on some days it made you wonder whether you could grab another breath or not. I can't remember the first time I became acquainted with air conditioning. We didn't have it, therefore, I suppose you don't miss something you've never had. We did have some electric fans. Us boys slept in a room where the fan was stuck in the window to draw in the outside air. We loved the incoming bomber propeller sound because it helped silence the crickets but waking up soaked from the wet air was not always a pleasant experience. I said that to let you know that I am aware of the blemishes but I also wouldn't trade my life as a child for anything. And, yes, I suppose that's true because no one offered me a place with air conditioning as an incentive. Just joking. I'm not going to promise there will be no air brushing of my stories going forward because the way I see it, it's just good old fashioned remembrances. Nothing else.

I'm no expert on interpreting the news but you and I are entitled to our opinion. It always is striking to me when I notice something that other recognized pundits pick up on too. The crisis in Iraq came as ANOTHER surprise to the administration. They have to be some of the most consistently surprised folks in our nation's history. But the rebels over there are taking over major parts of the country, executing folks left and right, and they are bearing down on and threatening the Capital itself, Baghdad. We have over 5,000 Americans working there at the embassy and in other agencies. On his way out of Washington for a golf outing and a series of fund raisers, the President gave a brief update on the situation. He talked about how concerned everyone was. He talked about how serious this was along with a variety of options that had been presented to him.  He said he would be weighing them while he was away. Crisis? American lives in danger? I'll catch back up with you when I return? I caught that immediately. Then later I heard other talking heads commenting about how bizarre that was. He may not be back until Tuesday. I suppose we will all have to wait. Oh well. It just goes to show you that my analysis can be at least as accurate as a stopped clock which is always right at least twice a day. I know there's little to no impact from my armchair analysis but we all know that's not true when wrong decisions are made at the top. Pray for one another and please pray for our nation. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: