Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson



 

 
 *****Mom continues to be in good spirits. The photo was taken yesterday by our sweet niece Angela. Mom is holding a little praying lamb. She is dealing with all the uncomfortableness of hospital routine as they seek to determine the best approach for dealing with her blood clot situation. They have talked about the possibility of inserting a screen as one option. Dad is staying with her, sleeping on a small couch. I told him it was good that he was a small fellow since that couch was also small. He told me it really didn't make it sleep any better. Please continue to pray for them as they anticipate being able to go home soon. Thanks.*****


Hello friends, neighbors, and passers by. It is Wednesday, June 25, 2014, and I am glad to wish you the very best as we continue our sojourn here on the planet. These are some very challenging times that we are living in. More so of late than I can remember. How so? It just seems like the train has come off of its rails, all over the world, all at the same time. Like it or not, all of these upheavals going on across the globe do have an impact on our day by day living. I appreciate the appeal of isolationism. You know. Just take care of ourselves and let the rest of the world do the same. However, things that end up directly threatening our way of life cannot be swept under the rug. And, there's nothing like $5 per gallon gasoline to get our attention. I don't have the answers but I do know incompetence when I see it. It is classically defined as not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully. What? You thought that was already taken in the dictionary beside the words political process in Washington, D.C. I'll give you one embarrassing but typical example. Earlier this week the fellow who is at the top of the food chain in our state department announced that he had met with the new dictator in Egypt and had been assured they would follow a path of respect for human rights. As a result of his glowing reporting on his positive meeting, he committed our nation to releasing an additional $650 million in aid. The very next day the Egyptian court sentenced three journalists, including one from Australia, and one from Great Britain, to long prison terms, with no evidence of wrong doing having been produced. Now you have a clear working definition of incompetence being demonstrated before your very eyes. Thanks for showing up for class today. Any questions? If not, I will see you next time.

No. I am not down and out because as the Apostle Paul put it, "....I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day." (2nd Timothy 1, Verse 12) This does not mean I am unaware of these things being played out in front of our very eyes. And, may I just tell you that more and more the people in power today are counting on folks not paying attention to these things. Apathy on the part of their constituents is their friend. At the same time I also realize that I have my life and my calling to pursue. You do too. Don't think yourself to be too small or too insignificant to make a difference. God's very plan and purpose is worked out through His choosing of people who are not so highly thought of or recognized. Those heartfelt prayers count. Your daily diligence in fulfilling the work you have to do matters. The song says it best: "Little is much when God is in it." I remember a testimony of a fellow who was in great peril but somehow and in someway he made what many called a miraculous escape. Later he learned that a little lady far far away had been awakened from her sleep with an intense burden to pray immediately for him. See what I mean? One small prayer a world away can make a world of difference. ( I may have to trademark that one!)

I know on some days you indulge my meanderings here and there, and at times, perhaps all over the page, all at the same time. And, yes, I do know that my writing each day is an outlet of sorts. It's also a way for me to share some of my thoughts and insights that are of importance to the generations that will follow behind us. Am I always right? Obviously not. I'm not able to say like the old Southern comedian, "I may not always be right but I am never wrong!" At the same time I do know the source of truth that can be counted on, always, for time and eternity. That's our great God and He has given us His Word for our learning, for our living, and yes, for our loving. I started out by saying these are some challenging times and I certainly don't take away from the hardships many have suffered in times past. I think my concerns today are based on the spiritual condition of our world and in particular, of our nation. In case you wondered, that's one reason I do address the subjects that I write about. Now, here's the deal. We have today, therefore, let's do our best to be in a position to be like that lady who was called upon to pray and in so doing she connected into God's work here on earth. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: