Friday, December 6, 2013

Winter Mix defined: Wet and Cold! OR Cold and wet!

Our recent work at the private studio.
I suppose we can breathe a little easier because we did make it to Friday, and we find ourselves parked at the location on the calendar marked December 6, 2013. We have a little weather system that has descended upon our area. The best way to describe it is wet and cold. If you get out in it, that's what you end up being, wet and cold. I came up with that one all by myself. But, while it can be slightly uncomfortable, it does reflect many people's notion of what the song means when it says, 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas'. We continue to get new inquiries asking about our availability in the Santa Enterprise. Thus far it's all been word of mouth and we do appreciate those who recommend us to others, not that we can fill all the requests. We will never forget how that five years ago a young man in our local fellowship of believers took it upon himself to get us connected up with his management team at Chick-fil-A. The husband wife team are wonderful people and in addition to appearing at their restaurants each year, the lady happened to be President of the Junior League that year and that's how we got started at the big holiday market event, and it was there where we first worked with a great professional photographer and that's how we got started doing her studio each year. Several of our charity events have also led to paid events. We give a shout out to Brother Neil who is now managing one of those same restaurants in another city. See what you helped to get started.

Throughout his lifetime as an American illustrator and painter, Norman Rockwell had to endure a litany of so called art critics who thought his works to be too simplistic. Well, I wonder what they are thinking now? His beautiful painting entitled 'Saying Grace' recently set a record for an American painter at auction as it sold for $46 million. I have always enjoyed the huge volume of illustrations he produced in his lifetime of paintings that reflect upon real people in scenes that require an emotional response. I suppose the number one criticism is that he was too idealistic in his portrayals. I think we all can use some ideal sentiment that helps to soothe but also challenge us to do what we can to make our lives count. Saying Grace depicts a railway station restaurant with a woman and her grandson bowed in prayer at their table. It had a pre-sale estimate of  $15m to $20m. The previous record for a Rockwell painting was $15 million. Just so you know, I am glad his work is appreciated, and I do love this particular scene.

I actually do start out on some days with the intention of being less wordy. Brief. To the point. In a writing course I took once, the lady said I should remove every word in every sentence that is not absolutely necessary. Why would I want to do that? She must not have known that I get paid by the word. That's a joke. I am aware of the need to communicate in as few words as possible but I never said I was good at it. What's that you murmured? Do I have to prove it every single day? I suppose I do. Thanks for tuning in this week. We have a very busy schedule this weekend thanks to the Ho-Ho-Ho commitments. I have to remind myself occasionally that I signed up for this, and maybe I won't have visions of  those kicking triplets dancing in my head as I prepare for my next photo shoot. You do have yourself a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I will do my best to show back up, come Monday. May God bless each one! Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: