Wednesday, December 4, 2013

As two caterpillars were crawling along, a butterfly flew overhead. One turned to the other and said, "You'll never get me up in one of those things!"

Okay. It's Wednesday, December 4, 2013, and just when you thought you had seen and heard it all, you find out that you haven't. It seems that some folks who really take their environmentalism seriously are trying to do something about the real problems out there. People are actually killing trees, bringing them into their homes and putting lights on them. I thought the cartoon they used was cute but it really does show us how really warped things are getting. The people campaigning on this issue must not have checked to find out that over 75% of all live trees used for Christmas come off of farms where they are harvested just like any other crop. Maybe I could send them a note to make them feel better. We've been using our real looking but artificial tree for nearly 30 years and every time we think about replacing it, well, it just looks good enough to keep it. There's probably a group out there somewhere who are against the fibers that were used to make our tree too. Sometimes it's just hard to try and figure these things out.

The continuing saga of Washington spin is really enough to make one a little nauseous. It reminds me of when I was a kid and got on one of those rides at the fair that spun me around until I felt queasy. I don't know if you noticed but I did how the Administration about two weeks ago lost completely the trademark Obamacare and replaced it with the Affordable Care Act, ACA. Had this been done during the Bush presidency the press would have gone bonkers, but in this case it seemed reasonable since that is the actual name on the law itself. What a farce! During the election and up until it all went south they proudly waved the flag with Obamacare on it. One congressman said last week that it was sad that people are holding the President accountable for misunderstanding what he had intended to say. You know. The one where he told everyone about one hundred times that if you have insurance and like it, you can keep it. I could go on. I think I will. One more. They have now delayed the mandate requirement that will cause all kinds of pain to take effect just after the mid term elections next year. Coincidence? I report, you decide. I think you can appreciate why some Dramimine could come in handy as the spin keeps spinning.

I again acknowledge the fact that many people would rather turn all of this off. It can be depressing and even discouraging, but, at the same time, nothing about all of this is going away and bottom line: It is the world that we all must live and function in. That's why I pay attention to it and I think it only prudent that we all do. I am aware of the steady stream of criticism that says anyone against this attempt to provide universal government run healthcare is uncaring and hateful as it pertains to the poor and needy. That's the way the battle is being waged. Class warfare where anyone who opposes anything is called a hater or a racist. I do hope and pray that people will wake up and see that policies matter without regard to some of their intentions, and that you and I, the taxpayers who foot the bill, will have to live with the consequences. And, just for the record, one more time, I am not uncaring and I do not hate the poor or needy. However, I stand in opposition to the government take over of healthcare. I believe the right to oppose this on principle and on policy grounds should be respected but don't expect that from those pushing it. Just a little editorializing on a Wednesday. Have a great day and I'll try to calm down a little by tomorrow. Until then, may God bless each one. Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: