Friday, December 20, 2013

"Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice." - Dave Barry, humor columnist

Plop plop fizz fizz! That bubbling noise I am hearing just might be the 'oh what a relief it is' Friday slipping onto the scene. It will usher in my last day here at my normal post at the old blogger ranch for the next nine days. We open up the package and discover it's December 20, 2013. Nine days seems like quite a few but history tells me they go by faster than one might think. We still have some unfinished details for our Christmas family celebration, and I haven't done my annual foray out into the shopping wars yet. I will have to get my mind girded up and conditioned as I get ready to pursue that little piece of business. While Santa always recommends helmets and knee pads to kids desiring skateboards or scooters, I'm not sure I have to go that far before getting out there to mix it up with all the elbows flying as the last minute masses look to make that last purchase. A little over the top perhaps. A little. I don't think I am on any store watch lists concerning shopping issues from the past. I'm pretty sure I'm not.

That was also a little joke so don't be running a background check on me. To be honest, both myself and the wife have been battling just a touch of trying to go down the wrong road towards getting the sniffles. It's no wonder, having handled literally hundreds of children of all ages. That's right. All ages. If you listen carefully you can hear Nat King Cole's impeccable voice...."And so I'm offering this simple phrase To kids from one to ninety-two Although it's been said many times Many ways, Merry Christmas to you." I can't be sure but I may have even had one or two over ninety-two so I hope I didn't break any rules or anything. But as for the sniffles war, we have been aggressive in warding off the symptoms as best we know how. I'll let others try to figure out whether you starve a cold and feed a fever, meanwhile, as a precaution I've taken enough cold and allergy tablets to choke a mule. That's what they used to say back home. It's a saying so please don't report me to the mule animal protection folks.

This brings to an end my daily visits for this week. I will try to stay in touch as we continue to anticipate Christmas and our celebrations with family. This coming Sunday I will be finishing up our study of the New Testament accounts reflecting upon the birth of our Savior. This week's passage is taken from Matthew Chapter two were we find those learned men from the East who have been directed by a star to come into Judea in search of He who has been born King of the Jews. This event most likely occurred within the first couple of years after Jesus was born and placed in the feeding trough. No. I am not going around our neighborhood taking the kings out of the nativity displays, but, it is always good to know the truth as best we can based on thus says the Word of the Lord. It's a great passage and I commend it to you for your reading and study. Surely the slogan people take from it is very true: Wise men (women, boys, and girls), still seek Jesus. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll try to pop up on an electronic page near you come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen.    ...More later. 

No comments: