Thursday, June 20, 2013

“No one has ever become poor by giving.” ― Anne Frank, diary of Anne Frank

I bring you some news on this early Thursday morning, June 20, 2013. It's happened again, which implies that it has happened before, just so you know. But it has my friends, it's a fact. My wife is leaving me again. This time she will be gone for ten days. She is leaving this morning with a group from our local fellowship of believers to travel to Brownsburg, Indiana, a suburb of Indianapolis, on a mission trip called City Reach. Groups from all over the country are coming to be a part of reaching out to folks with the message of the love of our Savior. They will be staying on the campus of Butler University. She was contacted at the last minute with a need for an additional sponsor. I was given the right to just say no. After all, she just returned from her get away to Branson. I had to weigh all the issues. It's much more convenient and comfortable when she is here, and the Lord knows I need all the help I can get. (Some facts are indisputable!) On the other hand, she along with the other sponsors and teens could touch the lives of folks who are lost and on their way to hell, or they could be used to lift up and encourage the downtrodden. See what I mean? Plus, she has been thinking about thinking about becoming more active in these types of outreach efforts. I did not have to wait until I saw what was behind door number three to make my decision. I said yes, by all means. At least that's what came out of my mouth even as visions of heaps of clothes and dishes and yard mowing and meal preparations danced in my head. I would ask that you join me in praying for this effort to help the local Church there fulfill their mission which is simply to passionately share Jesus with others in word and in deed.

The word part is just that, they intend to share the message of the Gospel through organized witness activities. The deed part reflects actual events they will be conducting while they are there. These include house cleaning, yard work, serving the elderly, washing cars, and other types of service projects. There will be daily services that promote and provide Bible study and worship for those who make up the team. There will be several hundred people working together in one area to concentrate on sharing the love of Jesus and in meeting the needs that people have. I read recently one pastor's thoughts on how the improvements and convenience of travel has made pretty much the entire world accessible to those desiring to put feet to their faith in sharing Christ and His love for the world. Why did they go to Brownsburg? Why not Africa, India, or some other exotic place? This program is designed to help our kids become acquainted with serving the Lord in different ways. And, the local pastor there asked for help. And, America is a mission field and her cities in particular. Meanwhile back on the farm I will be formulating my own survival plan. Joking only. May God bless them as they go. Amen.

Based on prior experience, I don't think I will starve while she is away. I remember back in the day when I was responsible for a large group of folks. When my wife was away they could tell. Things were not the same. After a few days they begin to ask when she would be returning. They worked for me, therefore, they knew they needed all the help they could get. But they noticed. I happen to think that was a good thing. Not that I was hard to get along with when she was gone, but, that things were out of sync. Out of sync because we are a husband wife team and we operate our lives together. I'm her husband. She's my wife. We've had nearly forty nine years of building our way of doing life. Together. Therefore, when we are apart it doesn't work the same. Nor should it. But, I've said all of that to say this: I'm thankful to have such a loving wife who cares not only for me but for others. She is a hard worker and a great friend to so many. And, as I have explained before, she does know her way around the kitchen. You know, things like teaspoon versus tablespoon. I always have trouble with stuff like that. Look at all those container spoons on that measurement ring. I would never use that little dude to put anything into my tea, and I certainly wouldn't think of trying to use that table spoon to eat with. I guess I will have to go with season to taste and be done with it. Here's all each of us can do with the day that God has given to us: Make the best of it by honoring Him and serving others. Amen.       ....More later.

No comments: