Monday, June 17, 2013

"It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water." Franklin P. Jones

I came to the keyboard this morning with the phrase from the Johnny Cash song ringing in my head, "How high's the water, Mama? Two feet high and risin..." Only in my case the lyrics go like this, "How high's the temp, Mama? Ninety five and risin...." It's Monday, June 17, 2013, and I bid you welcome to the place where a sauna experience is provided to one and all, free of charge. I recently had some extended exposure to that 102+ heat index. It's not for the fainthearted or those nudging ever closer to the proverbial three score and ten. That kind of heat produces a special kind of suction that seems to vacuum the breath right out of your body. It actually surprised me. I thought I could handle it better than that. No, you don't need to send me the number to that life alert necklace. It wasn't quite that bad. However, those hallucinated images were pretty neat but it's not something I would recommend on a steady basis. A big...just kidding. It was just a little dizziness and so hot I had to borrow and make a down payment just to get the next breath, or something like that. I did learn a lesson. Well, let me put it this way, I should have learned a lesson. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, my advice: Stay cool.

I try to catch the White House press briefings when I can. This is the forum where the press secretary for the President can answer questions on the President's behalf as asked by the so called elite White House press corps. The fellow doing it now is Jay Carney. To be honest, his responses during the last few sessions have been so absurdly wishy washy and sing song, I've had to turn it off and move on to something more productive. I'm not blaming him, he's just the messenger. But it's downright embarrassing that he would be called upon to give up such nonsensical answers to important questions. I heard a joke the other day saying the carnies who work carnivals had requested that Jay change his last name because he's giving them a bad name. I know it's a tough job but lately even the simplest of questions tend to get some vague mystical spin down the yellow brick road instead of information that people can make sense out of. I suppose it does have some entertainment value but I outgrew the Three Stooges style a long time ago and of course with their comedy there wasn't the fate of the free world hanging in the balance. I had to throw that in just to let you know I do have those serious thoughts from time to time. Maybe that's where the headaches come from. (Kidding only!)

I know that folks who regularly watch the White House press briefings are maybe a tad or two closer to being called political or news junkies. I suppose I would be a candidate for that but knowing the stakes, it does add some significance to the effort. Meanwhile, there's no denying that I enjoy watching the forth and back, ups and downs, and everything in betweens involved in the moment by moment playing out of the daily news cycle. That's why I like to watch Question Time from the House of Commons in Great Britain. The Prime Minister stands and answers directly questions put forth by his colleagues both for and against his policies. It can be raucous and loud. It is, however, relevant because our cousins across the pond deal with many of the same issues we face here in America. Government spending. Government intrusion into the lives of its citizens. Social issues. Wars and rumors of wars. I've watched the Australians and the Canadians do their thing because they have a similar Question Time program as well. I know. Most folks would have to be hogtied and forced to watch these types of programs. That's what makes us different. Some people are surprised when I tell them I occasionally listen to liberal radio and TV commentators. They prefer only a red meat conservative diet. While I believe myself to be fiercely conservative, I do like to hear all sides. That's just me and may I tell you that being me is about all I can take care of. Most of you likely have the same experience, and, think about it, God made us and He loves us, and here's a news flash we all can feel good about: His love is without regard to our politics. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: