Monday, June 3, 2013

"And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow." - Gilbert K. Chesterton

Here we go again. Spinning the weekly work wheel and where it stops nobody knows. But, it is good to say hello to one and all again on this Monday, June 3, 2013. We had ourselves an event filled Saturday and Lord Day's Sunday, but, that's mostly par for the course for us all. We did get ourselves a wonderfully refreshing and greatly needed downpour on Sunday morning. I was at the Church facility early and the heavens opened and as they used to say back home, the bottom fell out. I think the precipitation total for our Zip Code was officially stated as 3/4 of an inch, but, I would not be surprised at all if we actually didn't get more than that. It was a day for us to sing from our hearts, There Shall Be Showers of Blessings. I could go to the door and look out and it was like the whole area was getting a good old fashioned wash down. I get to the Church early and go through my routine. You likely have your own. I make some coffee. I make copies of my lesson handout. I sign the cards that our local fellowship sends out each week to the sick and shut-ins. I straighten up my classroom and get it ready for the day. I also go back over the text I will be teaching. Many times I get a strong sense of what I should emphasize. Our lesson from our verse by verse study from 2nd Samuel focused on David and his failure in the matter of his sin with Bathsheba. I was impressed to use this as our lesson focal point: "Devastating self inflicted failures often occur in the midst of great provision and blessings from the Lord." (2nd Samuel 11-12)

Our hearts are broken over the deaths of four Houston firefighters last Friday while fighting a run away 5 alarm fire at a motel. In addition, several others were transported to the hospital for treatment including one assistant chief who continues to be very critical after having both his legs removed. Most of the others are either in stable condition or have been released. The one who remains critical is connected to us through his brother who we attended seminary classes with. I ask that everyone who reads this note to please take a moment and say a prayer for the families of the fallen and in particular to call out Chief William Dowling, and his family. His struggles to stay alive have been cataloged out on Facebook and to be honest, they have been hard to read. We are indebted to these brave folks along with all the other first responders. They do what they do every single day. As we have seen so very often over the past several weeks with so many violent storms that have ravaged different areas of our nation. When we first heard this news we sat literally on the edge of our chair waiting to hear the names. This reflects what has been our privilege for much of our sojourn to be close to so many of those who serve in this special calling. May God bless them all is my prayer. Amen.

There seems to be enough sadness to go around folks, but, we know that we are here for a purpose and God knows about all the troubles that dog our steps. He not only knows but He cares. We can't figure it all out and we may have a distorted view of things as they unfold in our lives, but, God never wavers in His love and caring. That's something we can count on. The song tells us that when we can't make sense out of life and all that is happening, we can do something: Bow the knee. That's right. We can look up and we can bow down before the Creator of all things. He who loved us with a love that sent His one and only Son to die on the Cross for fallen humanity, He will not forsake those who have put their faith in Him through the finished work of His Son. Human reasoning and platitudes will not get the job done. Only He can help us when these waves of distress seek to wreck our ship of life. He never has made a promise that He will not keep, therefore, I have confidence in reminding us all that He has sworn by His own Name to never leave nor forsake us. May all who hurt and all who are distressed find rest in Him is my prayer. Amen.    ...More later.

No comments: