Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday. The golden child of the weekdays. The superhero of the workweek. The welcome wagon to the weekend. You know it's the famous one we thank God for every week. (Adapted)

Well, well, well. We made it to another of those proverbial end of the work week days for celebration. That would be Friday of course and it just happens to land on June 7, 2013 for this week. I appreciate all who take the time to stop by for a visit and I do hope that in our time together something will encourage and bring a smile. People are funny. I know that you knew that. The other evening I bumped into a pastor that I had not seen in maybe ten or more years. I stood talking to him for a moment or two but I could tell he did not have a clue as to my identity. I reintroduced myself and he exclaimed how the beard had thrown him off. I gave him a couple of my Santa souvenir cards and he seemed satisfied that I had not become a derelict or street person as they are sometimes called. I just imagine he had in mind to go back to his congregation and tell them about the interesting conversation he had with this person he had met, you know, ministry and all, but, alas, he ended up sitting in my class and hearing me teach the Wednesday night lesson. I hate to mess up a good testimony but that's the way it goes sometimes. Right Vern?

We had visited his Church many years ago, and our eldest son and his family had attended there for a few years as well. He had come to our fellowship with his young people who were participating in our youth activities. Those of you who visit with me often know that our participation as members of our local fellowship of believers is a priority in our lives. I am well aware that being faithful in Church attendance no more makes one a Christian than standing in a garage makes someone a car. However, if we have been saved, that is, if we have placed our faith in God's provision through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, then we should want to know how He would have us to conduct ourselves in our time here on earth. I very much believe His plan includes His called out assembly, that being the local New Testament fellowship of believers. Why do I believe this? Simple. The kids song says it best: The Bible tells me so! I am thankful for the example of my grandfather who made his service through his local Church a priority in his life. I highly commend it for anyone who desires to seek God's best for their life. Amen.

I'm not sure that paragraph qualifies to be called a sermonette but I had it on my mind and decided to share it with you. Many think that those who are faithful think themselves to be better than others. That's mostly an old canard because if folks are sincere in their faith, they know exactly who they are and they realize they too continue to be in the struggle each and every day. Those senior saints did show up last Wednesday evening. Seeing their faces light up in their singing, their tears, their sharing hearts, and in their response to the truth, well, I just don't know why anyone would think a service like that to be unimportant. I do know this. It was a huge blessing to me, and trust me, I need all the help and blessings I can receive. I also need the love, support, and prayers that come from my brothers and sisters in Christ. That's part of that knowing who we really are. God knew what we needed. He provided for us, and, it's up to us to respond. Okay. I suppose I could call that sermonette, part two. And, I'm sure that should be enough for one week. I again commend you to having an enjoyable Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I will, Lord willing, see y'all at this same location, come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: